Thursday, January 04, 2007

Confessions of a junkie

For those of you hoping for the excitement of sex, drugs, and rock and roll, head on to someone else's blog. This is a post about secret (and potentially embarrassing but not illegal) confessions. I have a problem. I'm not really sure I should share it with you. I suppose, though, since I gave the post this title, I'm locked in now. I... love... teenage feel-good movies. There, I've said it. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, let me illustrate it for you. When I was young my favorite movies all seemed to be Molly Ringwold movies. You know, Pretty in Pink, 16 candles. None of that teenage cool-kid angst of The Breakfast Club (I loved the movie, don't get me wrong, but it didn't mean as much to me) for me. I wanted the geeky girl gets super-cool, super-hot guy movies. I identified with Sam and her off-beat best friend Ducky in Pretty in Pink. I was always out of step with the small town world of the Southern US. I dressed in black and white zebra striped hose, I wore un-cool hats, I was just plain out there. And, I craved the romance and the love overcomes all. You would think I'd have outgrown this by now. I'm no longer super-cool but out of step. I now wear Mom Jeans. I now have a mother-of-three-including-twins figure. Basically, I'm just not that girl from a lower middle class family who wants to get the super hot football star. Or am I?

El 3atal can confirm that I love chick flicks. Anything made by Miramax is likely to be something I've nagged him to see. And, I really love the teenage chick flicks. I can watch movies like She's All That many times. I've actually seen Center Stage (teenagers moving to New York to study ballet), Bring It On (cheerleaders trying to win the national championship), Bring It On II (don't even ask!), the Princess Diaries (I own this one), etc. But the latest descent into the depths of this obsession is a movie that El 3atal and I picked up recently. Now, I pick up movies and look for the cheesiest feel good movies I can find. I saw one with Hillary Duff (of all people!) called A Cinderella Story and got it. Oh my goodness! It is everything I love in a movie. Girl's dad dies when she's young and has an evil step-mother and step-sisters, she's forced to work at her dad's diner and about the house like a slave, she has a secret e-mail relationship with a guy she's never met (star of the football team). Oh, and a happy ending of course. How could a movie get better? Anytime I find there's nothing on TV and anytime El 3atal is traveling I'm watching this movie again. I've probably seen it 40 times already. But, don't worry I'll watch it again tonight. So, for those who don't know this side of me, here's a peek into the inner workings of MommaBean's mind. I have a problem... and I'm not embarrassed. After all, Elmo loves to share and so do I!

Happy viewing!

7 Comments:

At 10:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh-oh, do I have to post something along this line too? It makes me want to!!! I just discovered the "Romantic Comedy" section of Plaza Video, and hubby, we are DONE with action/war/suspense/drama

I may need to borrow this one when my guy is out of town next, along with those "Dora the Explorer" DVDs... :)

 
At 11:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are kidding!! I have the same guilty pleasure. I watch these things whenever I can. They are a Sunday afternoon ritual. I only really admit to liking them to my husband, though! My husband has wanted to see them when he has seen previews (and I tease him), but doesn't watch them over and over like I do. Let's see...Center Stage, She's All That, 10 Things I Hate About You, Bring It On, Drive Me Crazy, Loser, Crazy/Beautiful,Save the Last Dance, oh, there are so many!

 
At 11:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Chasing Liberty and First Daughter!

Never Been Kissed, Wedding Planner, and Just Married aren't really as embarrassing as those others, but they are in the rotation with the aforementioned when my husband works overtime or weekends!

I may have to blog about this myself!

 
At 12:05 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Jennifer, you are clearly a woman after my own heart. I love all of those too! At least the ones I've seen. Now I have some new titles to keep an eye out for.

And Kinzi, you are welcome to borrow any of my collection, including the Cinderella Story, but only if El 3atal is out of town :). Otherwise I need it, teehee.

 
At 7:13 PM , Blogger Bo3Bo3 said...

lool..darn it..i was hyped for a different kind of confession. I do't know much about ur collection..but the closest to teenage movies i watched is "the other guy". Nice post.

 
At 1:13 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

bo3bo3, thanks for commenting. I would say sorry to bring you in under false pretenses, but I'm really not :). Welcome to my blog.

 
At 6:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I never knew all this. Sounds a little like me. Next time I'm there, PLEASE, I want to watch!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home