Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Brown Hair Candidate? How poor arabic (and harder-to-read fonts) confuse one voter...

So, as the voluminous campaign posters have gone up, I've been watching with interest. The candidate pool is at the same time both hauntingly familiar and strikingly new. After all, Abu Shawareb (ala Dave's post at the last election) is back again. But, Mr. Layalina and Mr. Sell-his-grandmother aren't. I have noticed that just today a new poster went up for a fellow sporting stubble (and a questionable hairstyle that is almost channeling Donald Trump). Haven't seen him before. Or the guy who looks like he's trying out his first-ever smile.

But, so far my favorite election moment (if 3 days can be considered a moment) is when I first read the posters for Reem Badran. What? She's the brown hair candidate? Hunh? You see her slogan is "without slogans", which with my questionable Arabic reading skills and a font that makes the d look like an r mis-translated into broon sha3araat (brown hair was all I could come up with). I actually almost would prefer that. That would really crack me up... Hi, I'm the brown hair candidate. After all, the reasons people vote for a candidate here often seem almost that silly to me. Not sure for whom I'll vote, but the brown hair party is leading so far ;).

Happy mis-reading!

4 Comments:

At 2:39 PM , Blogger NasEr said...

LOL, n I think I know who u talkin about when you talk about the guy tryin his 1st smile ever :/

 
At 12:19 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Haha. Sadly this year several aren't even TRYING smiles... And most certainly wouldn't win a beauty contest. I guess that's the benefit of not having quite the level of media campaigning.

 
At 9:33 PM , Blogger abu 'n um tulip said...

Instead of biduun sha3aaraat, a few of the men could have "biduun sha3raat" (without hairs)

-Abu Tulip

 
At 3:48 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Abu Tulip, absolutely true. In fact a fairly large number could be. It sort of seems to be the big teeth, no hair election hunh?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home