Friday, November 09, 2007

Cultural Insensitivity goes both ways...

So, I am not necessarily the most aware person when it comes to cultural sensitivity. With no malice intended, I will do things I don't realize are insensitive to my Muslim acquaintances. I try to learn from each one and ensure it doesn't occur again. But, I thought I'd point out that cultural insensitivity is a universal issue.

My lawyer has this very interesting paperweight/lighter. The first time I saw it, I thought, surely I'm mistaken. He doesn't really have a paperweight like that.
Then I realized that it was a lighter and was truly appalled.

So as you can see, insensitivity runs rife in all human endeavors. It can even be intentional (as I'm sure that it was with the creator of this little gem.

Happy cultural flash fires!

10 Comments:

At 2:43 AM , Blogger Moey said...

same to you...

 
At 8:39 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Thanks...? :)

 
At 10:42 AM , Blogger Sam said...

wow is that ever stupid??

 
At 1:11 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

It's something, that's for sure...

 
At 5:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is insensitive to humanity in general rather than to a culture.

Did you ask him why he had that? Culturally did he take that as a symbol of the day the U.S. finally got what was coming to them or as a reminder that there is evil in the world?

 
At 11:58 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Lynn,

Indeed. I did not ask him about it. I've found that often the less said the better... I just grabbed a picture of it to blog about (and think about in the context of the things we Americans do that could be comparable).

 
At 7:21 AM , Blogger Jundi said...

hmm .. can you see where its made .. im curious o_O

 
At 11:03 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

I didn't look...

 
At 4:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who actually thinks it's funny? In a perverse, poor taste way. I mean, not finding the humor in it, the World Trade Center mind as well be the United States' "sacred cow." And how silly is that from a Western beef eatting perspective?

 
At 11:25 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

In a perverse, poor taste way,mnay things can be funny. But perhaps rather than supporting them we can find common ground and non-perverse, decent taste ways... There are likely many who think that denigrating other's religion (and religious figures) is funny in a perverse, poor taste kind of way. So, maybe if we don't want to be on the receiving end, we should all practice more sensitivity?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home