Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Ya3teek al 3aafee! Giving Praise Where Praise Is Due!

So today I was driving down Rainbow Street and what to my wondering eyes did appear? A police officer ticket people parked illegally. Yep, really. That mythical creature, the ticketing officer was active his morning. As I had my window down and he looked over and saw me, I couldn't help but smile and tell him Ya3ateek al 3aafeee (good job!). I imagine he was quite surprised to have a crazy ajnabeeyeh (foreigner) saying this to him. But, I was just so happy to see him ticketing offenders. Take a minute next time you see a cop doing a good job and tell him so. After all, much maligned (including by me) they may be, but they provide a vital service. I figure it's like being a parent, catch your child doing something good and praise them. This is the way we'll change bad behavior (maybe anyway).

Happy Sights For Sore Eyes!

8 Comments:

At 8:01 AM , Blogger NasEr said...

hehe,you made his day ! i have mixed feelings about policemen they're not always nice ,but they're nicer i'm noticing and then they're serving in the streets of Jordan.enough said,so yea ya3teehom el 3afyeh .and you too

 
At 10:24 AM , Anonymous kinzi said...

LOL, yes indeed they were out ticketing. I slowed down to salute a police officer giving a ticket to a guy on Mecca St. I got a salute back :)

(I have a happy driving post coming up)

 
At 11:36 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

NasEr, I have to say that I find the generic cops on the street extremely nice. El 3atal and I have run into so many nice ones. Now, they ones giving tickets are usually extremely rude, but... What can I say? One of them actually was rude enough to look at El 3atal's license and comment that his name is weird. He couldn't help but point out that his name has been in Jordan 2000 years longer than the cop's.

 
At 2:59 PM , Blogger NasEr said...

:)) well some are really funny in a way,a friend of mine called Mohammad ,was stopped by a cop,asked for his license n he was like "hummm..Mohammad?" ; My friend : Yes ! , Cop : Momtaaaz (excellent!!) , LOL !!!

 
At 2:15 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent news. Yes, he deserves accolades.

 
At 11:51 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

NasEr, yeah, I can imagine that Mohammad would produce a more favorable response, although like 50% of the country has that name...

Nicole, I agree. Spot rewards...

 
At 2:14 AM , Blogger UmmFarouq said...

Every Mon. and Wed. I wave to the officer at the traffic circle nearest my house. He is really ALWAYS doing his job so that the morning rush goes smoothly. And he always smiles.

 
At 2:15 PM , Blogger Ali Dahmash said...

Ibet he was more happy than surprised. I did once thank a police man when he was giving tickets to the cars double standing behind the Arab Bank 5th circle simce it makes my way to my house a trajedy especialy after having the 4 seasons there as well. well done

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home