Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Amazing Invisible Furniture... Will it Never Come?

So, we got some bad news yesterday (okay, I got it today). Our furniture and household goods are at least 15 days from Aqaba. To keep this is perspective, I'm making do with my 3 children and 15 toys (my ten and 5 a very wonderful friend here loaned us). We've been doing this for the last 6 weeks and I'm listening to the daily refrain of "When are we going to move back to Baton Rouge?" It is quickly becoming unbearable. Add to that the fact that we're having a bit of a roach problem in our temporary house (and boy do I know how hard they are to get rid of once they find their way in) and you have a truly miserable situation. The first information they put on their website tracking our shipment showed it arriving back on the 19th. Then, on the 21st, they changed the date to the 24th. Then, they finally responded to El 3atal's query letting us know that there were a couple of delays due to port busy-ness, changes in ships, etc. And now they're sending the stuff through Jeddah. I'm beginning to wonder if these folks have even the tiniest clue. Honestly, I'm beginning to wonder if they actually have any idea where our container is, what ship it's on, and when it will arrive. I'm betting no, and, as you can imagine, my patience is running VERY VERY thin.

It's probably a good thing that I don't have contact information for the original shipper, freight forwarder or local agent. If I did, I'd be very American about it and call them every single day to yell at them until my stuff arrives. In fact, I'd intentionally pick a time that the kids were fighting over the ten toys and whining about being unhappy. I think they should ALL feel my very real pain. If I were them and were faced with a hostile American lady and her 3 screaming kids, I'd go offload the container myself, just to make it stop. Who am I kidding, if I knew where the container was, I'd go lift the 13,000 pound thing on my BACK to get the situation resolved!

I do plan on ensuring that El 3atal notifies the moving comapny that arranged this for us. We moved with them 3 times and trusted their recommendation. I am SOOOO sorry that we did. I find it ironic that they could call every single day to ask about payment, but haven't notified us once without prompting about the status of the delays. So, if you want your money, you'll call incessantly, but if the shipment is delayed you can't be bothered? Slip shod, crappy service if you ask me. Okay, so perhaps I'm having trouble letting go on this one... :)

Sanity (and send any extra here, it's in VERY short supply).

3 Comments:

At 7:56 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Thanks sweetie. We miss you guys more than you can imagine. Checked out your blog and am tres excited. Post more already!

 
At 8:35 PM , Blogger Rockin' Hejabi said...

when ur stuff does arrive, be sure to open the crate and count all boxes/ensure all is there BEFORE the shipping co leaves your house! We had some essentials stolen and we didn't do this; we didn't count the boxes and didn't realize until 3 mo's later stuff was missing...we were therefore unable to claim it missing to get our ins reimburesement!!!!

 
At 5:25 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually El 3atal is VERY OCD, so he'll have the all of the boxes ticked off and verified the contents before the movers leave, I have no doubt. We've been burned by that before, only then it was an antique mirror and the movers built a substandard crate which broke the frame of the mirror. We didn't discover it until far too late because the movers refused to uncrate it (I guess we know why). Ahh, well, BTDT as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home