Saturday, March 15, 2008

Things that make me think of home...

And, by home here, I mean the home I grew up in, Alabama. Thanks, Batoul, for putting this in my mind. For those of you who have lived in one place all of your lives, you may find it a bit hard to relate. For a frame of reference, I grew up in 2 cities in AL, then moved to a 3rd for college. After graduating college, El 3atal and I moved to 4 different states and in the final state two different cities. I've traveled a good bit outside the US. And, I've found that there are just those things that bring home visibly, forcefully, and often reminiscently to mind. So, I thought I'd blog about them. Let' see how many I've got...

  1. John Denver's music. It's a bit ironic since he doesn't sing about Alabama at all, but... there it is. His a little bit folksy, a little bit country, kickin' sound makes me think of home. In particular, Country Roads (radio reminds me of my home far away, driving down the road I get the feelin' that I shoulda been home yesterday). Once in Sweden after a long hard, very foreign feeling trip, some Swedes on a train started singing Rocky Mountain High. talk about tearing up...
  2. The smell of honeysuckle. You find it alot here in Jordan, but it takes me back to summer evenings spent chasing fireflies (lightning bugs for those who call them that) in the drippy summer heat. Hope the beans get to experience this one day.
  3. Humidity so heavy that it presses on your chest like a brick. You don't actually get this much outside of the Deep South (and I've never felt it as strongly outside of my hometown, which sits in a bowl between the coast and the mountains).
  4. Chocolate chip cookies baking. They make me think of younger years sitting in the kitchen, grabbing them when they were too hot and burned the roof of my mouth.
  5. The strong smell of burning food. Okay, so this talks a bit too much about my mom's kitchen timer (known in other homes as a smoke detector, teehee).
  6. Trees, trees, and trees. Whenever I see a forest of truly lovely trees, the kind that grow close together keeping out all grass and ground cover, I think of home. Alabama is a very green state, year round. And the woods and forests marked my childhood.
  7. The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins. Any song form either of these two takes me back to sitting in the kitchen when I was VERY young (like 4 or 5). My Mom was coking or doing dishes and we would sing along to he sounds of Julie Andrews. The Beans are just getting into these now.
  8. Turkey dinner cooking. Thanksgiving, home, family, you know. It's a great thing to cook here in my house, because it reminds me of childhood times with all of my cousins around and about.
  9. Sweet Home Alabama by LynardSkynard. I LOVE that song. And, ironically, also written by a band not FROM Alabama.
  10. The smell of sand and salt water. That takes me back to vacations on the beach (only 4 hours from home). Days spent in Fort Walton or Panama City before they became glitzy kinds of places. Back when it was just us locals coming out for a little sand, sea, and fun. We used the little showers on the beach and sat tired, uncomfortable, and sandy all the way home. (Don't let me forget hopping out of the car to race around it like mad-people when you hit Florala!).

I hope you enjoyed my list. And, feel free to tag yourself and share with us what "takes you home".

Happy memories!

7 Comments:

At 4:07 AM , Blogger Me said...

that was a great list mommabeans! i enjoyed reading it.
if you do not mind, please send me your email address, i would like to share a very personal and special video about country road.

 
At 9:51 AM , Blogger YFA said...

I'm not much of a Southerner...in fact I've only been there a few times. I am sure if I grew up there, I would have really loved it.

These little glimpses of home, catching the few notes of a song that reminds you a long summer days of yester-years or seeing those familiar license plates on cars of your home state. The nostalgia is so overpowering and life is just flying by so fast!

 
At 9:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful and I know just the feeling. I am Jordanian and have lived away from Jordan for many years in both the US (San Francisco) and then Riyadh. I feel every word of yours stirring inside me longings I used to have for Jordan and nowadys to San Francisco. I pray that you and the family have wonderful stay in Jordan and that you return safely to Alabama with happy memories of Jordan.

Mansour

 
At 1:34 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Summer, thanks for your comment. I dropped you a comment on your blog.

YFA, welcome and thanks. I think anyone from any place must have these things that bring home to mind, especially when far away.

Mansour, welcome indeed. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I actually expect I'm like many others who have such feelings in the knowledge thatyou can never go home again. Apart from visits to family, I don't actually expect to live in Alabama again. We live in Jordan now and if, at some point in the future, we were to move back to the US, it would most likely not be to Alabama (not enough business of the sort we're in). But, thanks for your kind thoughts...

 
At 1:01 PM , Blogger UmmFarouq said...

This summer when we visited "back home," the littlest one wanted to catch "nightling bugs." We did. I did not miss the humidity and I definitely know that when I exit the Birmingham airport's doors, I will be breathing in warm, sticky moisture. Aaaah, to take a shower and go outside, only to need another shower.

Sweet home, Alabama.

 
At 7:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Ummfarouq's older (yet still youthful sister :)) My memories of Alabama include homemade macaroni and cheese (you know what I mean) , "cooked down" green beans, cornbread and around the holidays, divinity.
Summer nights staying outside playing kickball until dark (barefooted) . There is also a kind of sweetness among most Southern folks that you don't always find north of the Mason Dixon line - "Oh, you're Eva Belle's granddaughter, well get over here and hug my neck!" Sometimes I miss that. :) Thanks for sharing!! I live in Fla so the humidity has been ongoing for me!

 
At 9:23 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Umm Farouq, so glad to hear your kids got the chance to get the nightling bugs (how cute).

Floridagirl, you got me thinking about a whole range of food I didn't even mention like grits, black-eyed peas, and sweet tea. But, I guess they rarely make me THINK of home because you can only get them at home :). And I definitely agree on the sweetness of all the old ladies with the blue and pik hair that you call "Miss X". Glad you dropped by, you are most wecome. Ya'll come back now, y'hear!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home