Thursday, April 16, 2009

Safeway Goes Reward-Free, Just What We All Wanted?

We'll call this a quick public service announcement... Safeway is discontinuing its Gold Rewards Card. In fact, the stopped accepting it for new purchases on 4/1. If you don't claim your reward gift certificates by May 1, you'll be out of luck. So, go forth and get your certificates today.

Word to the wise (and to Moms), their process is exactly as bad as you'd expect so anticipate that you will spend no less than 30 minutes and possibly longer to get your certificates. Try to go at times that are low shopping times (early Saturday morning is often good) to avoid even longer delays.

This discontinuation is making me wonder if the better rewards offered at Cozmo will offset the price difference. After all, I certainly don't shop Safeway for the good experience. I think it just might be worth exploring as their service is typically much better. Anyone know why they've taken this step?

Happy Reward-free Shopping!

8 Comments:

At 2:41 AM , Blogger NasEr said...

:DDD
yea...that sounds like home :DDD
thx for the smiles :D nice post :DD u miss these things :p

 
At 2:55 AM , Blogger Madi said...

I received my certificate days ago but not a full certificate, they took half JD out of it claiming that they don't have half Jds certificates (which is fishy) not to mention that I paid five JDs subscription in January to renew my card so basically I just wasted my time with their program.

 
At 3:19 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Naser, Glad to provide smiles... And boy is it like Jordan ;).

... that really is awful. I'd argue and fight until I got my 5JDs back. Fortunately for us, we spend enough to waive the fee (is that fortunate?). Sorry to hear you got caught in the crunch.

 
At 11:32 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I never signed up for that dumb card. I told them if they wanted my info so bad they should PAY me! And yes their service has really been bad lately and I never quit complaining to the manager, but he doesn't seem to care. The king of their customer service is British and he works at the Shemaisani branch where I think I should start shopping from now on.

 
At 2:21 PM , Blogger kate said...

Hey MommaBean, I don't know if you've seen this meme "Moms around the world" meme that's going around, but I tagged you for it, if you are interested...

http://expatmama.blogspot.com/2009/04/five-things-ive-been-tapped-for-five.html

 
At 4:10 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Nicole,

I know what you mean. El 3atal decided to sign up and it paid for itself the first year with the money we got ack many times over. After the first year, we never had to pay for it given our spending.

If their customer service king is a Brit, then maybe that explains alot... All I know is, they need someone who actually understands customer service to take control of it.

Kate, Nice to see you, I'll check it out.

 
At 5:57 AM , Anonymous Michon said...

From what I understand they stopped the "Just Ask" program. Wonder what the discontinuation of both programs means.

I never used "Just Ask" but inquired about it. ha They boasted "World Wide, etc, etc..." When I asked, turned out "World Wide" only meant the States. When I told the guy that the stuff was from NY, he actually asked me was that in the States. Nevermind!

 
At 11:56 PM , Blogger Ali Dahmash said...

I went on Saturday morning after two failed trips earlier (system down and they needed my mom's id who is travelling abroad). I got mom a few thinsg she wanted for 42jds and thats after 5 years of shopping at safeway, thats a bad saving deal.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home