Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Moral of the Story is, Don't Trust Your Cell Phone Provider?

So, not that we all love our cell phone providers anyway, but... the recent news out of the UAE makes me glad I don't have a BlackBerry. If you haven't heard (which I expect you haven't), the UAE's major cell phone provider sent out an SMS to its BlackBerry customers advising them to "upgrade" their software. When they did, suddenly their batteries began to drain in an hour instead of a few days. Seems, according to this article, that perhaps the phone company used the opportunity to encourage users to install spyware.

You know, if you can't trust your phone company who can you trust?

Ha! Fortunately for El 3atal, he ignores SMS's when he's in Amman and has remained unaffected. His CousinBeans have not been so lucky. Makes me long for the days at IBM where they tested, checked, tested, checked and then had four additional people check and test before allowing employees to install any new software...

Happy Battery Drain!

5 Comments:

At 2:33 AM , Anonymous bambam said...

isn't privacy the bigger issue here ? oh i forgot ... in this part of the world we are not supposed to have that, actually ... nowadays it sounds like we are not supposed to have that anywhere . :(

 
At 6:04 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

C'mon, Bam. Let's focus on the real problem... quickly evaporating battery. Teehee.

 
At 11:18 AM , Anonymous kinzi said...

Oh, WOW!!! @@

 
At 6:51 AM , Blogger Ali Dahmash said...

I love Orange, they give me free internet on my cell phone and extra hours every month, they even gave me a phone and extra number for free! Oh Im back by the way ;)

 
At 9:44 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Ali, welcome back, man! Oh, and if Orange could get their act together and 1. integrate billing and 2. integrate payment systems, I might like them. Currently, I'm on the side of indifference... ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home