Friday, November 20, 2009

Whatever Happened to Show and Tell?

Being the parent of kids just starting out in school is interesting. It allows you to revisit the school experiences you had. You get to remember all of the things you did and wonder why they do them differently. For instance, I STILL don't get why people are so darn focused on writing here. I clearly remember learning to write. We learned letters (names and sounds) in first grade and moved on to writing them in second grade. We then picked up cursive writing in third grade. ButterBean (and the TwinBeans) started writing in KG1. Finally now (in 2nd grade coincidentally) her writing has caught up to where mine was when I started. Hmmm... So, I was just thinking about the fact that the TwinBeans are in KG2 and have never done show and tell. They get t bring a toy in on Saturdays, but I don't think that counts. I remember show and tell, it was a good activity.

Show and tell was when you picked something you loved and brought it into school. You then stood up and spent a couple of minutes telling your class about the item. It was terribly rehearsed, nit I think most kids spent a couple of minutes deciding what they were going to say. Mind you, this wasn't as much an assignment as something everyone was encouraged to do. So,I wonder, have we gotten so focused on pushing kids ahead that we've forgotten some of the basics? I mean, what better introduction to public speaking that talking about something that you love in front of a group of your tiny peers? As for me, I'm calling for a return to show and tell. bring on those loved ones!

Happy TMI!

11 Comments:

At 9:07 AM , Anonymous Anne said...

Yes to bringing Show & Tell back! Little kids like to show their favorites toys and things off. Show & Tell is the best way to do it, rather than the frequent KG fight I have: "No! You can't take that to school!" ... which happens at least 3 times a week.

 
At 10:11 AM , Blogger and life goes on... said...

I've always thought that schools here tend not to concentrate much on public speaking when they SHOULD. It shapes their personality and gives them so much confidence. It is a form of communication that should not be ignored ..

 
At 10:40 AM , Blogger abu 'n um tulip said...

It just so happens that the next writing project I have planned with my fourth graders is for them to bring in a favorite toy or object, and do a short descriptive writing on the object. We'll then share with the class. So does that mean I'm focusing on writing and show and tell? ~ Um Tulip

 
At 11:47 AM , Blogger 7aki Fadi said...

Here in rpeschool they used ot do show and share

In JK (junior kindergarten) and SK (senior kindergarten) they do the guess what box.
You take the box home and you have to put an item in the box and you write three clues on a piece of paper. Once you go to school you have ot read the clues and the classmates have to guess what's in the box.

Every day it's a kids turn. Very fun. My daughter really enjoys it.

 
At 1:26 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

Good point! I remember Show & Tell but my kids here in France have never done it.

I might suggest it an activity though. The director studied in the U.S. so he might like that idea. (I suggested he include the kids not in the German program for the St. Martin's lantern parade!)

 
At 3:15 AM , Blogger kinzi said...

Well, I never thought of how very important show-n-tell could be, until I consider KG without it!

Dima, perfect point!

At Baptist School, they had show-n-tell in KG1, KG2 and first grade. My kids loved it, even the introvert.

Love 7aki's mention, the Guess What Box. It's almost like interactive show-n-tell.

 
At 5:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister brought me in for Show and Tell when she was in K! I had just been born, and my mom said she let all the kids take turns holding me.

By the time I was in K, though, it was more like, "Mom, I need something for Show and Tell!" I usually told her on the way to school so it was more of rummage through the car and what can we find? Then what can I say about it? I guess it was good practice at exptemporaneous speaking!
Emily

 
At 1:45 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

See, Murphy's Law at work. You get busy exactly when people respond to a post... :)

Anne, we have that same conversation as everything that JuniorBean wants to take in, he realizes on a day that is NOT Saturday...

And life goes on... my sentiments exactly.

Um Tulip, maybe write and tell? I love the idea, especially at that grade.

7aki Fadi, LOVE that idea. Makes them not only choose something they like, but come up with clues...

Sharon, suggest it. I think I'm going to as well...

Kinzi, awesome.

Emily, I seem to recall taking in a family member as well...

 
At 2:39 AM , Anonymous Malli said...

Funny you should mention this. I just called my sons school he is in year 1 and encouraged them to do show & tell for the children in the class to increase their English speaking skills.

Back home. They used to do both Show and tell and news. If they were to do NEWS they would need to include in their speech, Who, What, Why, when and Where? and the children were able to ask 3 questions to the speaker.

 
At 11:09 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Malli, good to hear. I like the news idea too. It's an excellent one. Perhaps with enough momentum, we'll bring show and tell back to Jordan...

 
At 4:52 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

We have Show and Tell at Redwan School, but you get graded on it for a speaking assignment in English class. That kind of takes the fun out of it if you make a mistake it could backfire on you. What happened to fun?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home