Saturday, October 17, 2009

Snips and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails?

One side effect of having improved our garden this year is that during the summer we spent alot more time outside. We invited friends over and had the kids play on the tile, we had the older Beans over and had dinner on the new patio. Basically, we spent more outside time than we have pretty much ever. So, I guess it should be no surprise that I saw things I haven't really seen before in Jordan. Like slugs. Did you know they have slugs in Jordan? They don't exactly have a name for them (they call the snails without the shell, teehee, I LOVE that). But, they have them. Don't believe me? Well take a look of this picture that I grabbed.


Since then, I've seen another one. Each time I see them, I think of being a kid and rushing into the house to get the salt to put on the slugs. It was so awesomely disgusting (while also cool)

to watch them shrivel up. It seems so cruel to me now that I just couldn't encourage the Beans to do such a thing. One thing that amazed me about these slugs is tat they are HUGE. I mean, these must be twice the size of our nice little slugs back home. They're gross and disgusting, and really really cool. Anyone else seen lots of slugs this year or are they all hanging about in my garden?

Happy Slugginess!

2 Comments:

At 5:48 PM , Blogger NasEr said...

what are the odds ! just today I saw couple of them (tiny little ones) and I enjoyed just watching them and I thought "how was it so fun to to slowly sprinkle salt on them and watch them die when we were kids!" but then the big ones are really tempting :D
and we had a name for it , "bazza2a" cuz it leaves a slimy trace behind it that looks like saliva !
and I just checked the dictionary ,its there under with the same translation "bazza2a" ,spread the word mommabean spread it :D

 
At 1:34 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Hahaha. NasEr, thanks. Good to know. I think they came up with that name but then dismissed it for some reason. And, look, because I mentioned them, you saw them (or something like that!). The big ones really ARE tempting aren't they?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home