Saturday, October 03, 2009

Poverty: Stealer of Souls and Breaker of People? My Heart is In Gaza Tonight

Today the Jordan Times has an article on Gaza's continuing downward trend. The number of Gazans living in "abject poverty" has tripled to 300,000 this year. My heart goes out to those children living in poverty. Those who feel the pangs of hunger in their bellies. My heart goes out to the fathers, unable to provide for their families, marginalized as men by that evil, soul stealer. My heart goes out to the mothers. My mommy's heart goes out the most to the mothers tonight. The knowledge that all of their love can't create food, shelter, clothing. The aching worry that winter is coming and their children will be left cold and hungry. The nagging heart-pain of wanting to ease their children's cries and knowing thy are helpless, powerless.

My heart is in Gaza tonight. My prayers are on Gaza tonight. May the Creator and Author of all things have mercy on the people of Gaza tonight. May He find a way through war to peace. May He work miracles for the people of Palestine. And may He help them know that our prayers are with them. With Muslims, Christians, people of all religions, backgrounds, all people. Again tonight, I am with you in spirit and prayer, people of Gaza. And God is with you.

I was reminded of the fabulous song penned by Michael Heart during the slaughter earlier this year and think the words are so appropriate now in this time of challenge and difficulty, so here they are again:

We will not go down
In the night, without a fight
You can burn up our mosques and our homes and our schools
But our spirit will never die
We will not go down
In gaza tonight

As Dylan Thomas so wonderfully said it "Do not go gentle into that good night", people of Gaza. "Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Sad trends...

1 Comments:

At 9:14 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

You echoed my feelings exactly.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home