Saturday, December 30, 2006

When is a Pup not a Dog?


When it's a restaurant of course! Last night El 3atal and I were out near the Abdoun Circle when I saw this. I had to quickly snap a shot for all of you here. While I was taking the picture (twice since the first time I hit discard rather than store...), El 3atal was hanging out on the sidewalk waiting. He was standing next to a small van when suddenly the window opened and a special forces soldier was sitting inside. El 3atal smiled and greeted him. He asked "Am I blocking your view?" Apparently he wasn't. Interestingly, there were about 8 of the soldiers in this one small van. They were just "protecting the peace" and making sure nothing happened. I'm not sure if it was for the Eid or the situation with Saddam or both. Regardless, the fellow was very nice and we were quite amused at the sight of all these big guys in this little van. It rather put me in mind of a clown car that 100 guys would come tumbling out of.

As the only word I'm going to say about the Saddam situation, what were they thinking? They couldn't come up with better timing than this to carry out the death sentence? Regardless of whether you believe the trial was fair, the sentence appropriate, etc., it's hard to argue that timing couldn't be better. Enough said.

And as for the Eid, I hope everyone has a very happy Eid and a wonderful New Year!

Happy misspellings!

4 Comments:

At 6:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

its usual :p

Happy holiday thats why i came here to wish you and your family :D

 
At 11:35 PM , Blogger Madi said...

Special force? I don't think so, maybe some sort of heavy weight patrols but definitely not special force.


Happy eid :-)

 
At 11:51 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Jano, thanks and the smae to you and your family.

Jad, I take leave to know nothing about the distinction (to me they are all cops). However, El 3atal called them special forces based upon their uniforms or firepower or something. Either way, they seemes intent (happily so) on ensuring a safe and trouble-free Eid.

 
At 11:56 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Jano,

Thanks and the same to you and your family.

Jad, I take leave to know nothing about the distinction (they're all just cops to me). El 3atal called them special forces based on uniform or firepower or the imprecise nature of these terms in English...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home