Wednesday, November 07, 2007

I'm sorry, but enough is enough...

Now, since I've been back from my journey to the Western World, I haven't been sleeping well. I've had maybe 2 full nights' sleep in the week I've been back. And, while that's annoying, I'm actually more annoyd about another topic today. First let me say that I find the Call to Prayer a unique and charming part of the experience of Jordan. From my first visit, I found that it felt like nowhere else in the world between the call to prayer and the trucks driving around with gas and their odd tinkling music.

But there is too much of a good thing. So, someone please tell me, what is the deal with the music and speeches BEFORE the call to prayer these days? I don't really mind them during the day, although they seem to be creating a culture of noise pollution with so much sound so much of the day. But, at 4 in the morning, I don't want to hear music and speeches with a break and THEN the call to prayer. Cone on. Invariably, the initial music and stuff wakes one of the beans and just as I get them settled back down and cozy under the covers, the call to prayer starts. In the US, we have an expression, if someone's serving you something and you've had enough, you say when (thus the admonition, Just say when). Well, here we are and I'm saying it, WHEN! No really, WHEN! Please... let's go back to the charming and meaningful sounds of the call to prayer without extra additional songs speeched and whatnot. A request from all of the beans.

Happy Late Wakings!

9 Comments:

At 12:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Music before prayer at 4 am?
where is the music coming from? the mosque? and what kind of music? what speeches?
Momma, I have no idea what you're talking about. :D

 
At 1:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may have a neighborhood imam-wannabe with his own sound system. We've heard one before, he likes to do his own intro before the call to prayer.

 
At 1:44 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Welcome to my odd neighborhood. If this is a neighbor, he's got an amazing sound system. It sounds like it's coming from the Mosque. I also think I've caught it at the office before the prayer around 4pm.

 
At 1:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I very much doubt it is music. Muslims do not use music in their religious services.

 
At 1:29 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Anon, El 3atal made the same comment you did. All I can say, is, I invite you both to come around at 4am and see. In fact, it's happening just now and El 3atal maintains it is chanting (call me crazy, but words set to music (with limited tonal variety or not) is music). So, fine, let's call it chanting and then a speech 1/2 hour before the call to prayer. It's still too much...

 
At 4:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is something I intend to write about, my 4 months old nephew wakes up screaming at 4 AM because the call to paryer freaks him out, I'm a Muslim, I do get caught up at certain times with things and forget when prayers are due, but luckily we're in the 21st century and everybody can afford an alarm clock! The very loud call to prayer was needed a billion years ago when they had no CellPhones, Alarms , whatevers, I'm fine with a one minute call to prayer, but ten minutes is too much! Bil3agel ya3ni! BTW, they never play music, they usually recite Quraan at dawn.

 
At 10:45 AM , Blogger Sam said...

when we first got here ziad would freak out at the sound of athan in the mornings...the mosque by our house was so loud! but he toned it down a bit so now it is not too loud...but yeh i do not understand why they have to do it 3-4x....it is too annoying!

 
At 1:11 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

For me it isn't the call to prayer as much as the pre-call festivities (whatever they may be), teehee...

 
At 7:24 AM , Blogger Jundi said...

they have pre-athan music now?

man i havent visited amman in AGES!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home