Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Cultural Fear of Commitment?

After living in Jordan for nearly 7 months now, I've discovered a cultural trait of which I was previously unaware. People hear have an internal fear of commitment. And, I'm not even talking about the really big commitments (like marriage). I'm talking about small commitments. Like what, you may be wondering. Well, let me give you some real life examples...

"What time are you coming?" "Oh, around 4 entshalla." So, what you really mean is that you can't commit to a specific time, hunh?

And driving (you knew I was going there didn't you?), people can't choose just one lane. They either drive in the middle of both or they compulsively jump from lane to lane in hopes that one will move more quickly. Yep, they can't even commit to a single lane on the road.

All in all, it seems like commitment to something isn't a strong suit. Since I've been working, I've noted that companies seem to have a really high turnover rate. Again, I think it goes back to committing to one thing for a long, or even average, period of time. It's just a thought, but I think people truly fear that by committing to one thing, they're giving up too many other options.

Happy decisions!

3 Comments:

At 1:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, speaking for myself, I do have not only fear, but some kind of phobia... Maybe if I hadn't signed a contract with my company I would've left months ago! It sucks you know

 
At 10:21 PM , Blogger Dave said...

While the entire idea of the "enshallah" is a good one, it is completely overused and misused (as a cop out) in today's culture. As you say, when someone tells me "enshallah", I generally interpret it as a "maybe" or a "no".

 
At 8:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second Dave

an Arab Inshallah is soooo not a Muslim Inshalah!
it's like "Maybe, Might Be" it doesn't confirm

It's a bad habit
especially when people use it in a sarcastic form.

omar

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home