Saturday, March 17, 2007

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas? Passing on traditions from my childhood...

Given our locales since we had children (Southern Louisiana until last year), I wasn't honestly sure if and when my children would have the chance to do the things I remember doing as a child. In the 8 years we lived in Louisiana, it snowed twice, at night, and melted by morning. The pictures of me in my winter gear with my snowman as tall as I was didn't seem to be things I would get to pass on to the beans. And then the snow came...



I guess, given the high likelihood of freak snowstorms in March back home in AL, I might have expected it, but I truly didn't. And, in the 8 years we lived in Louisiana, it snowed twice, at night, and melted by morning. So, little chance was expected there and then Jordan surprised me in a big way :). So, we bundled up the kids and carried on the age-old tradition of bundling up in not nearly enough clothes, going outside, and making a snowman. As a child in Alabama, we'd have to collect the snow from 3-4 yards to make a presentable snowman. This year. given the kids' ages, we weren't so worried about the presentability of the snowmen, just that they made some. And, so, here are our crowning glories. First is ButterBean's "snow big sister"

Next is JuniorBean's snow boy extraordinaire...



And, finally, JujuBean's little sister snowgirl...


So, as you can see, we did make it happen. Cold noses, frozen toes, all the joys of going outside to make snowmen so that 10 minutes later you can whine, complain, and cry to go back in :). The tradition is intact and my kids have both seen snow, played in it, and built snowmen. Next year maybe I'll be up for making snow angels...

Happy playing in the snow!

9 Comments:

At 7:58 AM , Blogger Me said...

Very cute snow men!! it is nice to enjoy something that is not in season and this snow made it happen to you and to all the people in Jordan.

 
At 9:01 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Indeed. The irony is that less than a week earlier the spring day was so nice I had all the windows open in the house... The joy of March!

 
At 2:22 PM , Blogger Sam said...

cool snow people...we have had snow since november, and we still have not made a single snow man...not even a snowbaby! of course when it is -32C feels like
-47C on most days making a snow person is not a priority..:) maybe next week..:)

 
At 1:37 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Yeah, the great thing is that it's the kids' first ever experience playing in the snow. So, it hasn't lost its appeal. When I was a kid, I loved going skiing and visiting my grandmother in MN because in AL, we never got snow... Once I saw it more often, I got tired of it quickly.

 
At 3:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the "pickled beet" nose. Very cute jordanian touch!

 
At 12:04 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Sorry to disappoint, but the nose is deceptive. It was actually a spoon from ButterBean's tea set. We had to use what we have about the house (apple mouths; fruit roll up, pasta, and peanut butter chip hair; fruit roll up, rock, and stick eyes, etc.), which isn't much and definitely no pickled beets :).

 
At 4:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, well. Maybe next time I make a snowman I can add a pickled beet nose (better than eating it, I say). ;)

 
At 3:52 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Exactly. Next time it snows, bring your beets and come to the bean house. Weve got a nice lot with plenty of snow... Ahlan wa sahlan.

 
At 6:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is one freaky snow man, i do think i will sleep tonight :-(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home