Friday, August 03, 2007

Medina or Amman? Yesterday I began to wonder...

Medina or Amman? El 3atal and I were confronted with the surreal site of a taxi from Medina driving in front of us along the streets of Amman. Unfortunately, my camera phone doesn't have a zoom or you could see it better. The tax is min Saudia. The Top says Taxi min Medinah. Oh, and he has passengers! :)



Further odd evidence that we are actually in Saudi Arabia... El 3atal and I went and dealt with transferring my license to Jordan (another post on that later). While we were there dealing with them we overheard a troubling conversation.
A driver's ed instructor was in the office of the Mudir (a fine man, I assure you) in Marka. He was trying to get his license back. Earlier in the morning, he had been issued a ticket and had his license pulled in front of the Marka DMV office because he had a female student with him - alone. That's right, his only crime was providing driving lessons to an unchaperoned female student. What?! His argument (and listen to the unassailable logic here) was that as a woman is free to drive alone and ride in a taxi alone, why would you draw the line at driving lessons? When El 3atal explained to me what the hoopla was about, my first question was, what are we in Saudi here? The Assistant Mudir (also a fine man and very helpful) told him they'd let him off with a warning this time, but don't let it happen again! Yikes! Maybe there's a swing coming in the conservative direction. I certainly hope not, but who knows.
Happy Saudization?

5 Comments:

At 11:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go figure. Maybe because the taxi driver is in front and women alone sit in back? Hope not too.

 
At 11:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

With summer in full swing, I expect we should see more liscence plates from our neighboring Arab Gulf countries. They come here for the 'cooler' weather. :P (The jokes on them, we're getting fried here ourselves...lol)
When I was in Jordan in the late eighties I remember when the country went through a 'conservative' phase. Movies with a kissing scene were even edited out. I keep hoping that it's a trend that will pass like bell-bottom pants and the latest catch-phrase! The younger generation won't settle for the conservative mentality to take roots again. It's too restrictive for their lifestyles.~In my opinion at least, but what do I know I only visit Amman once a year or so.

 
At 9:05 PM , Blogger Dave said...

Saudization? Please, God, no!

 
At 9:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always felt sorry for those girls trying to learn to drive with their mothers in the back seat. Now I know why... it seems NOT having Mom there would be the better alternative (I know that's what MY mom would prefer!)

 
At 12:19 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Rebecca, you and me both. My Mom had NO part in my learning to drive, to the benefit of us both.

Dave, my sentiments exactly...

Ziad, I'm used to the plates, but it is the first Saudi taxi I've seen here.

Kinz, your thought was mine as well, but I ask you, how does the front seat/back seat difference help?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home