Saturday, July 14, 2007

Not Real Churches? What Makes a Church True, I Wonder...

So, Pope Benedict has reconfirmed the position of the Catholic Church (apparently first stated in 2000) that all other churches aren't "true" churches. How interesting. I wonder, what is the arbitration body that determines whether a church is true or not? Clearly, the Catholic Church is trying to set itself up in that role. But, it seems to me it's a backwards move for them. In the article, it stated that as the other churches did not have apostolic succession, they aren't true churches and, as such, don't have the "means of salvation." Now, I'm no theologian, but isn't CHRIST the means of salvation for Christians? You know, I'm pretty sure on this point. In fact, I'm certain. The whole point of Christianity is that Christ established himself as the offering, the sacrifice that made man whole with God. So, He is the Way. But, that doesn't lend itself to the business of proclaiming yourself as the intermediary for your parishioners. I also seem to recall that this attitude in the past led to such abuses that the Catholic Church underwent a schism and reformation (creating more un-true churches, I suppose). One step forward, three steps back. And, one final thought, I know that there are a number of churches that claim apostolic succession just as the Catholic church does. So, the argument here, on Benedict's behalf, seems forced and grasping. I do find the idea that the Catholics want to be the only "true" church rather funny.

Not being Catholic, what the Pope says really doesn't affect me. But after his unconscionable words about the Islam and now this, I do wonder if his aim is to alienate everyone on earth. Maybe next he'll start in on Judaism, Buddhism, and the other faith beliefs out there. So much for spreading the Good News, let's just all start claiming that the other's churches aren't "true" churches. That'll improve Christ's cause amongst those who are seeking. Because, after all, Christ created a church on earth so that they could worry about HOW people are coming to know him rather than WHETHER they are, right? In my very humble opinion, I'd recommend that all Christians everywhere spend less time worrying about other Christians and more time spreading the Good News to those who have yet to hear it. So, enough for my first ever truly religious post.

Happy Name Calling!

5 Comments:

At 4:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

MammaBean,
I'm so sorry about the Pope's remarks. My mom called me Thursday 7AM to tell me about them. I read an article though that made me feel a bit better. I posted the link on Hareega's blog when he posted wrote about it. Read it if you get a chance.
I completely agree with you. As Christians, we have the most important part in common- Christ Jesus, and it is only in Him and through Him that we receive our salvation, be it Catholics, Protestants, etc. You are so very correct that we are to be spreading the good news and supporting each other. One day His followers will be united and I can only imagine the beauty!:)

 
At 11:38 PM , Blogger No_Angel said...

Well it didn't need that, ever since he started he proved himself to be a bigot, i wonder what his comparative religion degree on ?!
Mat 18 :20 "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them."
So really churches have no place in religion beyond a gathering place... IMHO :D when they act a theopolitical body they unleash mayhem on everyone

 
At 1:23 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Thanks Emily, I know we think much the same on such topics. No Angel, thanks for visiting. I definitely hope that churches are more than just a gathering place in that they should be a place for community (with all that means). But, I definitely agree that there seems to be more mayhem than we want right now :).

 
At 7:28 PM , Blogger Rockin' Hejabi said...

ANYTHING to divert everyone's attention away from the priests sexually molesting children!

 
At 12:03 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Rockin', Sadly I can't argue with you...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home