Thursday, February 07, 2008

More Dating Anomalies...

or date anomalies... or... oh I don't know! I saw this in the paper and found it to be ultra confusing. I'd just like to go on record as saying this whole writing dates basckwards thing is for the birds...

I mean, we all know that it's month first and then date. But, then, here in Jordan (and everywhere outside the US to be fair) that would mean you have 31 months! Although that does sound like fun, it's a bit impractical. So, you canimagine how funny this ad looks to me.


Is the voting going on from the 12th of January until the 13th? Or until the 1st of the 13th month? After quite a bit of time trying to figure this out, I realized that it was from December first until January 13. (Cut me some slack the paper was a January paper, so who'd expect the first visible mention to be IN January for a contest that started in December?!) This just illustrates why the American way is better (teehee). Actually, since moving to Jordan, I've simply stopped using numbers and write out the month names :). Saves the confusion of having a birthday in the 22nd month.
And, on another date related note, while in Arabic class the first week we used our birthdays to practice saying the numbers properly (read that backwards). We went around the first time and then came back around. On the second go round, one of my fellow students admitted that she had lied about her birthday. She said March 9th because she couldn't remember the Arabic word for eight! I'm all for that myself, I'll just make up important dates based upon the numbers I can actually remember!
Happy Dating!

1 Comments:

At 11:45 PM , Blogger Dave said...

Yeah, I hate it when those dates aren't clear. 1/12: is that January 12th or December 1st? That's why I just write Jan. 12; it makes it so much easier.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home