Friday, July 25, 2008

Speaking the language of little people... funny things the Beans say

I'm thinking about this for a couple of reasons. First, JuniorBean said something to me the other day that kind of cracked me up. It makes me understand why the people who do speech evaluations on him are a bit surprised at his vocabulary. To set the stage, Junior Bean is almost 4.5 years old. The other day I did something that is absolutely against the rules. And, what do you think JuniorBean said? Mommy, that is not acceptable behavior. (Okay, so you can see the kinds of things I say a lot I guess, but still...) How many 4 year olds use the word acceptable perfectly in sentences? Man, I'm handicapping my kids, aren't I? They're going to in trouble (as I did) for using 25 cent words when a nickle word would do. And, they all do it frequently. My kids use words that frequent visitors to my house have never heard. ButterBean taught HelperBean a new word the other day (can't remember what but a very philosophical existential concept - that I remember.). So, I guess we're word-happy people.

And I admit to using ButterBean's love of words and story-telling to my advantage in this pushing her to learn Arabic world I live in. She had resisted and resisted. Finally I explained to her that she tells such awesome stories in English. My dream for her is that she will be able to tell stories that are just as wonderful in Arabic. How great would it be if she could share that gift with her friends at school. Since then, she's sat with me twice trying to make up stories in Arabic. They're terribly simple so far (like the stories she told in English when she was 18 months old), but she's really trying.

But, at any rate, I thought I'd share with you some of my favorite things that my mispronouncing Beans like to say. I hope you'll enjoy them. Oh, and I should admit that they're typically from JujuBean as she has the most fun pronunciation...

  1. Oooh, Mommy. Look at my pretty cracelet (bracelet).
  2. Mommy, would you like a pizza lezzert (piece of dessert)?
  3. When we get home can I have a glass of lemolade (lemonade)?
  4. JujuBean what did the haaris say? Splibble, bibble, gooble, bobble. What language was that sweetie? Arabic. I think it was Jujulish. No Mommy, it was Arabic.
  5. MommaBean to JuniorBean, You need to go wash your hands. Because I have to pick up clean up right now. (Notice no question necessary, aways a because available for use.)

Enough for now, it's bed time for MommaBean. The Beans are iffy-sleeping at the moment and I need to get to bed so I can get some sleep tonight. Enough of the summer-time waking at 10 am!

Happy Self-expression!

2 Comments:

At 5:47 AM , Blogger NasEr said...

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE :DDDDDDDD
that was fun to read .cute :D
y5alleelek eyahom ,thats Arabish mommabean :D

 
At 8:26 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Naser, Ahlan Wa Sahlan lbloggi :). I see on your previous comment that my blog isn't your typical style. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Come back soon, now y'hear (that Southern for you).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home