Monday, September 08, 2008

MommaBean's Supplement to Bakkouz's Epic Ramadan Post (Yes, he and 7aki Fadi actually forgot something)

I've been thinking about this post for a long time (well, since Ramadan started), but have avoided posting it for two reasons. Reason One: Laziness (notice the capital L). Reason Two: Fear of being perceived as insensitive (of course I AM American and we do typically lack the cultural sensitivity gene, so... maybe I'll get the American pass on that one). But, since 7aki Fadi and Bakkouz both posted about Ramadan and failed to mention my biggest pet peeve, I'm going for it!

MommaBean's #1 Ramadan Pet Peeve:

THE WAY PEOPLE DRIVE!
I mean, I know you're hungry (well, at least some of you are, for the rest what's YOUR excuse), but really. And, I have to admit, it's not just driving. It's also parking. You know, the "I'm-in-a-hurry-to-go-eat-so-I'll-park-in-front-of-your-garage-like-a-noodlehead" attitude. Not sure what I mean? Here, let me show you (yes I took a picture, although this guy wasn't the worst offender, just the one I had a camera available for).


Mind you, I had nearly hit this guy before I could see him in my rear view mirror. The car is TINY and the guy is silly. Giving credit where it's due, when El 3atal left him a nice little note asking him not to block the garage, he moved his car and hasn't blocked it again (thank you!).

The next day, I come home to find a new VW Jetta completely blocking the garage. And, I was loaded down with countless bags of groceries and needing to run quickly to get ButterBean at school. Needless to say, he's lucky he wasn't there when I got back. I'd not only have taken a picture of his car but gone to all the neighboring buildings to find out where he was (mental picture of small blond woman screeching like a fish wife in broken Arabic coming through now)!

Some of you may recall that Ramadan two years ago, I got hit by a lady on the third circle. I was in the middle of the circle and she just decided to take my space. Literally, no issue that I was already in it. Then later, she had the audacity to "forgive" me. She's quite lucky I didn't understand that until after she had driven off. I might have had to go Captain Insano on her... (warning Waterboy movie reference?)

And then, the other afternoon, I was in the 6th circle when one of those circle crashers (you know who rush the circle with no right away and then get pissed when you honk) decided to stop short in front of me because I honked to remind him that he was about to hit me. If I had hit him, I'm afraid I would have had to use every woman's secret weapon (you gentlemen know what I'm talking about, that one true vulnerability that every man suffers (even Superman I think, forget Cryptonite, just give him a knee to the groin)). So, fortunately I didn't hit him, but a girl can dream, no?

And to add insult to injury this year, all our visitors from Saudi, UAE, Qatar, etc. have stayed on through Ramadan. It isn't bad enough that they drive like maniacs (and that's saying something in Amman) throughout the summer, but they make a difficult month even more trying...

So, all in all, while Ramadan may be a blessed month for some, it is NOT a blessed traffic month. So, since you wanted to know, there's MommaBean's biggest Ramadan pet peeve. Here's wishing you no need to leave the house.

Happy homebodies!

4 Comments:

At 4:23 AM , Blogger NasEr said...

i have 3 words for you :DDDD

W E L C O M E
T O
J O R D A N

:p

seriously though, i wish we'd change much of our public behavior , its gonna take time though ,i often laugh walkin alone in the metro here,its spotless ! just yesterday i thought : if they carried on with this metro project in Jordan,i wonder if its gonna be like that ! sad but true :s

 
At 4:45 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Being a Muslim and all, I give you license to discuss this each year until it is no longer necessary. Just today I was driving to my weekly lesson, had some other sisters following me, and we ended up in a traffic fiasco with MEN doing the oddest, most ridiculous things with their cars to just go where they want, willy nilly. I happened to honk at two of the offenders because what they were doing was so against traffic laws and just phenomenal, and later one lady asked me if I had honked. As if honking would break my fast...you bet I honked! Traffic laws are not null and void during Ramadan. Muslims please step up to the plate!

 
At 5:04 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Naser, indeed. Public transportation would be a trash pit in seconds (literally), sadly.

Nicole, I can imagien as I have seen so much of that behavior lately. It's as if the usual level of disregard for others is taken to all new tummy-grumbling inpsired levels :(. Way to honk, sister! Beep beep.

 
At 12:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mommabean and Nicole, you inspired me to rant. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home