Sunday, July 19, 2009

Summer Days Drifting Away... I'm such a failure!

So, I am owning up to my mommy-failings (well at least some of them, teehee). I'm going to start a mommy failures anonymous chapter here in Amman. Hi. My name is MommaBean and I'm a failure. Haha! I can see it now. Please don't think I'm down on myself as that's truly not the case. But I was thinking today about my plans for the summer, all the things we were going to do: practice our handwriting, get focused on reading, solidify friendships with friends, practice Arabic. And, well, we've suffered a mommy failure. So far this summer, we've had two play date other than our weekly standing visit with Lil Kinz. We practice Arabic only when the tutor is here and we've practiced reading twice. We haven't practice writing even once. Yikes!

Lest you think we've accomplished other worthwhile things, we haven't done any art projects, special trips, anything. Okay, we did one family trip to Ajloun castle, which has been the highlight so far, but still...

We've fundamentally had the summer of my childhood, time spent doing not much of anything. Time to play and get bored (how wonderful is boredom as a learning method). The kids are spending time making up new games based on things they've seen and heard. They're taking their favorite shows and reenacting them, improving them, changing them. And, I find myself thinking, maybe this is what summer should be all about. But I will own up to my failing as one who doesn't like to call people I don't know well and arrange social gatherings. I think I need a social secretary for the kids... Teehee. Any thoughts?

Happy failures!

5 Comments:

At 9:56 AM , Anonymous kinzi said...

Now how did I miss this post? :( sorry!

You are SO NOT a failure!!!

It was just a tweak of planning, sa7? And you had the cute saxophone girl over, sa7? You went to the swimming place and worked elsewhere for a week, have hosted ladies for a bible study, sa7?

Just a little summer tweakin;, I'd say. ;)

 
At 9:53 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

I am SO a failure, although you did come up with other things I wasn't counting. So, maybe I'm only half a failure.

 
At 1:44 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I think it is good to keep some of our time unscheduled. During the school year we are all running on full speed ahead and that is so draining, so let it go for a while. Between our little trips in the region, we have had no schedule besides what presents itself on a daily basis and that is nice. No summer camps, no swimming classes, just time to recuperate. Alhamdulillah.

 
At 10:59 AM , Blogger UmmFarouq said...

If you've had all of this "down time," my guess is that you needed it. Lady, you run circles around me with your schedules. I'm happy you've had time to just "chill."

Looking forward to getting the girls together when I'm back.

 
At 2:10 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Nicole, that was my theory (well with a little at home studies and review), but somehow it turned into ballet lessons (going very well so far) and such, teehee.

Umm F, I DID need it. I refused to even consider ay summer camps as a result of feeling so restricted by the schedules of the school year. But now I wonder if I did the right thing... Teehee.

My girls can't wait to see your girls. Come over for ice cream cones (found them at Cozmo the other day althought he pink ones are fast running out, teehee).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home