Friday, December 18, 2009

What makes YOU happy?

Sunny fm has a set of ads where they ask various people here in Jordan this question. And, my, how depressing are the answers to this question. The answers range from shopping to finding money in the pocket of an unworn jacket. Anyone else wonder where helping others is?

Somehow all those asked seem to think that material goods make them happy. What a sad, fleeting happiness that is. I find myself wondering if, at a more sacred time of year, they would get different answers. I wonder if just before Ramadan people would have more focus on others and less on themselves? So, I ask you, my faithful 2 readers, what makes you happy? Here's my list at this wonderful time of year...
  1. The wonder and new experience of children
  2. The joy that comes from giving to others
  3. The love of family and friends
  4. Finding the perfect way to say I love you
  5. Spending time on things that make the world a better place

I'm waiting to hear your additions...

Happy... Happiness!

7 Comments:

At 5:26 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

hello MommaBean :)

the most thing makes me happy
when i play my guitar on stage and see that everyone's happy :)

and about sunny FM
they already made me happy with this video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZqj_6Lx7zk
i just liked to share it with you :)

 
At 7:10 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Thanks Yazid for sharing. And the clip is a great one. No complaints about Sunny from me. And, I love the Free Hugs guy, but how did I totally miss it?! They should do it monthly and then compile an annual. But then again, I could probably still manage to miss him for the whole year, I guess...

 
At 1:43 PM , Blogger NasEr said...

a lot of things,but if I was to choose one that tops them all its seeing and knowing that my mom and loved ones are okay and happy. if that's not the case and everything else is okay I won't be really happy.

as for the materialistic answers,it comes to me with no shock really, when people struggle all the time to pay the bills and heat the house winter time their life then revolves around one thing; getting that needed money,and so its the 1st and most important issue in their lives which they can't "live" without,so its normal that they'd answer that way.

 
At 4:12 PM , Blogger asoom said...

Aside from the obvious family, friends, and faith-related things that most of us have in common, the following also make me happy:

Making an above average grade on an exam I studied hard for makes me really happy.

Completing an intense workout also makes me happy like when I get out of cycling class.

 
At 4:21 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

NasEr, nice addition, thanks. Although someone who says shopping makes her happy is likely not struggling for cash, no?

Asoom, both good additions, although number two would be endorphins as I recall... :)

 
At 1:08 PM , Anonymous Ola said...

Thanks for this post, it left me with a realization I was in a dire need for

 
At 3:02 PM , Anonymous KF said...

1) Playing my clarinet every week in an adult band here in Jordan. After 20 years of not playing, this is something just so beautiful for me. And here in Amman, it's incredible. During the Christmas season, it makes me so happy to be playing the special music and to see others celebrating with us.

2) Spending time with my friends gives me an energy boost each time.

3) Watching the individual wonders of my four kids.

4) My husband's safe return from all his long trips.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home