Friday, June 09, 2006

It's Here! It's Here! It's Here!

Alright, so I'm a bit excited. After the long, long looooooong wait, our furniture finally arrived! El 3atal got the call yesterday just before noon that the truck had arrived in Amman and he needed to go deal with customs. So, he rushed over and waited. Well, what else would happen after a rush like that. Finally, at about 3:30 he called and told me that I should leave the beans with his folks, they'd be there in half an hour! So, I hurried and finished eating and rushed to the house. And, I waited, and I waited, and I waited. Too funny. It seems that the truck driver (who had driven all day leaving Aqaba at 4:00 am) had run out of gas. So, finally the truck arrived and we went through the usual jockeying of finding the owners of the various cars and getting them to move (sukran to those affected).

Some interesting things about the move-in process. First, the container sits on a large truck (imagine 18 wheeler). But, there's no ramp, lift gate, nothing. So, the guys who are offloading the truck just slide the items off into waiting arms (or onto waiting backs). As is expected with El 3atal's borderline OCD, we checked each item as it was coming into the house. About 50% of the guys hauling our stuff spoke enough English to call out their box numbers in English. They were all very nice and understanding about it. I could tell they were sort of doing a "silly people" thing in their heads, but they remained patient while they stood waiting their turn in line. Last, we painted the twin beans' room green. However, apparently some of the movers were color blind because I found 4 or five large boxes of twin's stuff in our bedroom...

Today El 3atal, our household assistant, the concierge of his parent's building, and I spent the entire day beginning the unpacking process. We made significant headway and, by tomorrow, should be at least to the point of moving in! We took the little beans over tonight after we stopped for the day. To say they were thrilled would be an understatment. It was as if a sigh of relief went through the whole family at once. Finally! We are home... So, now I need to go and let El 3atal blog. I wish you that which is within reach for me...

Sanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home