Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A Gleaming Spot in the Stained World of Jordan's Public Restrooms

After my previous post on the topic of toilets, I had an experience yesterday that was truly noteworthy. We went to pick up some friends at airport and parked and went down to meet them. Their plane was delayed (they were on ALIA (aka Always Late In Arrival), so I guess this shouldn't be a surprise) and El 3atal and I decided to get a drink. Since I had to use the restroom, with a bit of trepidation I headed for the public restroom in the Arrivals terminal. I've only used the airport's restrooms once before and it was as bad as any terrible gas station in the US. In fact, I remember hovering over the toilet seat trying to ensure nothing I had on touched the ground. As I walked into the restroom, I could tell this experience would be different. The floors were clean, the toilets were gleaming, literally. There was toilet paper, soap, and water. And the lady who cleans the restroom even handed me some toilet paper to dry my hands (they only have those annoying blowy hand dryers). While I hate Royal Jordanian based on my sole experience with them (see early, early posts), I've got to give them the gleaming toilet award. So, I just wanted to share with you that if you're in the RJ terminal arrivals area, the bathroom is safe.

Happy Flushing!

7 Comments:

At 9:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Are you sure you didn't get on a plane by mistake and use the restroom in some distant land.

Now instead of holding it for the 11.5 hour flight and 1 hour communte from the airport....I can go as soon as we're on the ground. :-)

 
At 10:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you think you should have tipped the hand-towel lady? I'm always confused as to who to tip and how much.

 
At 1:28 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Luai, exactly! That hour will help anyway. And, I've rarely seen airport restrooms as clean as this one in the US.

Rebecca, I actually would have liked to tip her, but didn't have any money at all with me. I presume a minimal tip is appropriate in this situation. I probably would ahve given her whatever small coin I had handy (you know 5 piastres or something). Perhaps locals could comment on appropriate tips.

 
At 12:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont think you neccesserly HAVE to tip her since she is only doing her job (but quite well), but if you are going to I would not tip anything less than a quarter.

 
At 3:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salaam,


Good to hear this... I feel like emailing the airport to thank them..or maybe we should have this on national TV ... it's a breakthrough in Jordan's public toilet affairs...

Oh give me a break... tipping in toilets!

Next thing we'll start tipping shopkeepers for allowing us o buy from their shops!

I think a wide smile and a 'thank you' is the best thing one can give in such a situation ;)

 
At 2:47 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Ahh, good to know tipping isn't expected. Of course, in the US I wouldn't tip, but then again, I haven't ever had an employee whose job is to clean bathrooms hold out paper towels for me. Usually you just fend for yourself :). It's hard to know, as in Egypt tipping is definitely expected. Even in this situation.

 
At 8:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the bathroom right next to the gate
I used it last time in Amman before coming back here, and it was really nice and clean -- Surprisngly!

You're going to make a change in toilets one day! hahaha

omar

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home