Saturday, February 03, 2007

A post that's been months in the making


Okay, so one of the first times we drove down Gardens Street after moving to Jordan, I saw this restaurant. At the time, I didn't have my camera phone, so I wasn't able to get a picture. The place took on nearly mythical status because I couldn't find it again to take a picture. Then a couple of weeks ago, I was searching for computer paper and found the place. Unfortunately, it was rainy and El 3atal wasn't driving, so I resolved to go back and get the picture. Finally, today we did! So, I challenge all of you who help me see the error of my ways. First, how would one "restore fish and chicken"? I mean, with wood it usually involves stripping, sanding, staining, and varnishing. Is there a kitchen equivalent of which I am unaware? Also, do they REALLY mean wood pile? I've seen fancy places in the US cook fish or chicken on a wood block to soak in the flavor. But, somehow the visual that comes to mind with this wood pile is the fires I used to lay when I was a kid - jumbled bunches of sticks and twigs. I fail to see how you could restore chicken on such a pile... Talk about restoration hardware! I thought you would enjoy this as much as I did.
Happy restoration!

2 Comments:

At 1:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took a picture of that actually, and submitted it to Talasim a year ago. I have no idea whatrestored is... it's VERY wierd!

I'm glad that you said something about it since I was kind of ... shy to admit that I don't know what restored means!
What does it mean!!?
Do you want to see the picture I took?

 
At 2:42 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Qwaider, Glad to hear I'm not the only one who saw this and thought, what???!
Straight from dictionary.com:

re·store –verb (used with object), -stored, -stor·ing.
1. to bring back into existence, use, or the like; reestablish: to restore order.
2. to bring back to a former, original, or normal condition, as a building, statue, or painting.
3. to bring back to a state of health, soundness, or vigor.
4. to put back to a former place, or to a former position, rank, etc.: to restore the king to his throne.
5. to give back; make return or restitution of (anything taken away or lost).
6. to reproduce or reconstruct (an ancient building, extinct animal, etc.) in the original state.

As you can see, unless they mean that they are bringing the chicken and fish back to life, making it new again, or dropping it back in the water/on the farm, it makes no sense at all. Actually, when I first saw it, El 3atal said he thought they probably meant roasted. I suspect he's right, but what about that wood pile? Too funny. Oh, and I'd LOVE to see your picture.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home