Friday, February 09, 2007

Talent, Trifles, and Tolerance


So, Kinzi beat me to the punch on this (not surprising given how late I got up and moving today after last night's entertainment). But, she didn't have pictures :) (as blurry as these may be, my camera-phone is failing me :(. So, I'm here with a picture of the masterpieces to make everyone who didn't come jealous (sorry Moey). But on to the topics I really wanted to talk about...

Talent

Okay, you can barely see the amazing duck that Khalidah produced. It's lifelike, has the right colors in the right places, and really shows great artistic talent. In fact, all of Khalidah's offerings were wonderful. Also, you may see the lovely butterfly (stop that Oula, it IS lovely) that Oula made. She also had several lovely offerings, as well as bringing the most lovely little one to the party. It was so fun having a baby around. Rebecca and I had very few decorated cookies left over on account of eating them all as soon as we finished the decoration process (sometimes evern before finishing). However, the true 3D works of art were clearly from Zeid.
Trifles
The event was intended to be a Mommy and Daughter cookie baking/decorating experience. However, all of the kids that came got lost in the toy wonderland before they made it into the room with cookies. With all of the castles and houses, barbies, and Doctor sets, we saw little of the Jordan Bloglets. In fact, Salam's lovely kids and Little Kinz were the only ones who actually did any decorating. And that was toward the end of the party. My kids were more interested in eating than decorating (as expected).
Tolerance
Living in a society that is primarily Muslim is such a wonderful lesson for the Beans about diversity and tolerance. And, Dima (Rain Drop) helped me demonstrate that clearly to JujuBean. She was playing the game with her where you ask where's my (insert body part). When she got to ears (she wears the hijab), JujuBean couldn't see them. Then she asked what color is my hair. JujuBean said "You don't have any hair." We were unable to convince JujuBean that there was hair under the scarf. Finally Dima let JujuBean peek-a-boo with her hair, which impressed JujuBean to no end. This is the sort of lesson that we just wouldn't be able to teach her in the US, and I'm feeling blessed by it today.
All in all, we had a lovely time. I wasn't nearly as prepared as I wanted to be (usually I host a party with more attention and thought to my guests and the food comes out MUCH sooner). But, next time, I'll have it together...
Happy Baking!

8 Comments:

At 9:01 AM , Blogger Oula said...

Hey M... Actually this was one of the most pleasant evenings that I have had in a long time...q Baby Natalie was also very happy and Abboudeh also enjoyed his 5 minutes of play with the lovely blondes.. THANK YOU! It was such a good evening! I told u we were going to a b-party, so u cant believe how many people ate from those three cookies I took with me! thanks again!

 
At 10:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for inviting and having me over my lovely dear friend ... I had so much fun ... I loved your mother in law, your kids and your whole family ...

So you liked my duck ... I wonder who ended up eating it because I forgot to take it ... LOL ... and by the way, the cheese was wonderful and I was so hungry so thank you

We should do this again :)

 
At 10:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

MommaBean, all points well said...I'm glad you told the story of Jujubean, it was just priceless!

Oula, I was amazed at how happy Aboudeh was at just dashing in, playing fast, then leaving! What a good boy! And, Natalie was a precious kinz!

 
At 10:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kouka, we are on at the same time!! Great to see you!

 
At 2:31 PM , Blogger Rain Drop said...

I really donno how to thank you for your hospitality and the great time we all had together :D

it was an evening that i'll never forget :) JujuBean was great, i enjoyed playing with her :) and the cookies were absolutely marvelous :)

thanks a lot for everything :) and plz say hello for teta bean and little juju, i already miss her ;)

 
At 10:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything was wonderful MommaBean!In fact what makes it this nice is that it was all sort of spontaneous,someone baking someone gossiping and someone eating.and the way kids mingled was just amazing..thanks a lot for having us,I am glad I did not miss it!

 
At 1:39 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

All, you are most welcome. Khalidah, JujuBean called the duck, so she's the one who gets to eat it. In fact, Kinz and I split the cookies of those who left without them (not without much soul searching and guilt).

In the summer, we'll have to do an event in the garden for the kids and families!

 
At 10:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for hosting us Mamabean! It was a great time!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home