Friday, May 11, 2007

Golden Skies? An unusual weather phenomenon


Okay, for those of you from Amman or who have lived here for some time, I'm sure this isn't as odd as it is for me. We've had a couple of sandstorms since I've been here, but nothing like the one yesterday. It started out as a normal, if overcast, day. Then, I noticed it had brightened somehow, but not from the sun. I looked out the window and it was much like this picture outside. We had run about closing the windows because the volume of sand blowing inside was untenable.
We stayed in all day anyway, but it certainly would have ruined any plans to go had we had any... I used to live in Birmingham, AL. For those who don't know (I suspect that's most of you), Birmingham used to be the home of steel and coal production in the South (it was proud to be known as the Pittsburgh of the South). One legacy of this is that the pollution in the air gives lovely sunsets. Another legacy is that on certain stormy nights, the skies turn blood red. One night, I woke up for no particular reason and looked out of the window. The wind was blowing something fierce and the skies were as red as I've ever seen. Talk about odd. But, all in all, I enjoy the variety of both golden skies and red skies. I hope you do as well.
Happy skies!

5 Comments:

At 10:10 AM , Blogger joladies said...

I remember when living in Mafraq in the sixties we used to have sandstorms which whizzed through the keyholes, the cracks in the windows and anywhere else! We used to sit with wet towels over our heads, it was so difficult to breathe. After, we used to take out the furniture (newly married - not much!!) and hose the house down! It was terrible and got into everything. T

 
At 12:47 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Yikes! I have to admit I'm glad I haven't encountered this sort of thing. And, last year somehow we were spared even ones like the other day. It did blow lots of sand under our front door (and in the windows before I rushed around closing them). The joy of gritty feet :).

 
At 5:32 AM , Blogger UmmFarouq said...

I am from Birmingham! Born and raised, and lived there until we moved HERE. Do I know you???

Please email me so we can find out!

 
At 10:56 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Umm Farouq, if you see this, I can't figure out how to e-mail (did anyone actually think I'm more tech savvy than Kinzi? I dropped a note to you on your blog.

 
At 1:34 AM , Blogger UmmFarouq said...

I think, although the yellow is gone, the gunk is still in the air. Cough cough, wheeze wheeze, now where did I put my inhaler?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home