Sunday, September 23, 2007

What Does Vacation Mean, Exactly? No vacations for parents or entrepreneurs...

So, here we are in the US, having a lovely time. But I'm rather thinking about what a vacation is exactly. I remember vacations when I was single and child-free. In a rather hazy and distant way, I recall days of sleeping in, wandering the mall, reading novel after novel, that sort of thing. Nowadays, vacation seems to mean I've changed location.

The kids ensure there's no sleeping in (they've been up at 5 every morning). And, work has very successfully followed me here. So far since I've been here, I've sent marketed a new course, completed a first draft of a significant proposal, etc. And, El 3atal seems to be calling me every few hours (we've talked to him twice today) to discuss what we want to do on two additional proposal we're putting together. Oh, and we had an agreement fall through that was supposed to take our minds off of worrying about a course we're giving soon. So, now I get to worry about that again :). And, so, life as an entrepreneur means that everything seems to go on the same way in the US as it was in Jordan, only the kids think I should be playing with them because we're "on vacation."

Now, don't take this to mean that I particularly mind... While I very much enjoy playing with the kids, I can't take much more than about 20 minute increments of it. So, I play for a few minutes, then work, color for a few minutes, then work, play Barbies for a few minutes, you begin to see the pattern. Happily, since we've been here, both MimiBean and KhaloBean have been taking alot of the load off. They're new and exciting like and unexpected toy, so the Beans are thrilled to spend time with them. And, they're willing to go play outside and have fun, which MommaBean struggles to find the energy for. So, all in all, it's been very nice so far. Unfortunately tonight I'm facing sorting through our mail, which has been accumulating for the last 6 months. MimiBean kindly provided me with one of the Fall leaves- heavy duty- holds all of Manhattan trash bags. So, you can imagine her expectations. So, I'll leave you now to go and sort and toss and sort and toss (you see the emerging pattern here too don't you?).

Happy vacation holding patterns!

2 Comments:

At 11:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the fun picture of your stateside existence! I do hope you get some unencumbered moments.

I am so glad I am not the only one who has a 20 minute play-time attention span.

Lil Kinz asked yesterday when the Bean Kids would be back. I told her, and she sighed, put her head in her hands and said "That is just a long time, Mom". Aw.

 
At 5:13 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Awww, so sweet. We're having a wonderful time, mostly because MimiBean has every plaything known to man, woman, or child to entertain the kids (including a playhouse with working lights, AC, and TV/VCR). ButterBean has said several times (with a puty frown) I really miss my friends from home... I want to play with Little Kinz.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home