Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Why Do I blog? Remembering Fouad...

So, this week was supposed to be a week to blog about why I blog, but life has gotten in the way. And, maybe that gives me my starting point for this conversation with myself. I blog to order my thoughts. My thoughts about life, about business, about society, about myself - all are fair game. Honestly, much of the conversation on my blog is with myself rather than my readers (all 2 of them :)). So what is all of this introspection good for?

Reason #1: Introspection
I think as an American from a specific type of family (that is, one that likes to argue), I was raised with the belief that thinking is valuable in and of itself. The process of thinking about my beliefs on any given topic lead to one of two outcomes. Outcome 1: My belief is strengthened and my ability to articulate it solidified. Outcome 2: My belief is challenged and new thoughts begin to emerge. Both of these are very positive outcomes. Many of my relatives have kept journals, wonderful books that chronicle their lives, thougts, and feelings. They refer back to them periodically to see what they can and have learned during the intervening time. For me, finding the time to sit down with pen and paper is nearly impossible (ironic for someone who prefers books in physical form, can't process anything they read on the computer and prints everything in the world to read it!). I've gone through stages of up to about 2 months when I kept a journal, but always found something got in the way. Unlike the blog, once I dropped it for a few days, I found it nearly impossible to get into the swing again. Blogging, for me, can come and go and still is there in the back of my mind. So, introspection is sort of inbred, but for me, the outward nature of blogging facilitates introspection (how odd is that?).

Stay tuned for more reasons I blog (and I apologize for any spelling errors as blogger is not functioning properly with spell check and I never have the time to do it manually).

Happy introspection!

4 Comments:

At 11:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said (except the part about all 2 readers. Shu?). I like the part about centering thought, especially when work and kids pull ur minds in many directions.

I have the same problem with hand-written-journaling, I find my mind goes so fast my pen can't keep up, but the keyboard can.

Imagine Fouad, Mr. Tech and Free Expression, alone in a cell with no means to communicate or cente his thoughts that way. It would be harder than hard.

 
At 3:06 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Indeed, it would be harder than hard. Also, are you saying you're muy ONLY reader?! Teehee. Let's just call it a sense of humor, shall we?

 
At 3:27 AM , Blogger UmmFarouq said...

Great post. Hate the spell checker when it is not working.

Just to alert you, you have been tagged. Please see, here:

http://southernmuslimah.blogspot.com/2008/02/cereal-teachings.html

 
At 3:19 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Thanks, saw it... Been trying to get my tag post to post. Yikes. Many things no working so well for me...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home