Monday, July 28, 2008

On Being Kept Comfy...

I missed one of JujuBean's cutest expressions. She will often tell me that she wants to keep me comfy. Somehow in her mind keeping me company and making me comfy (comfortable) have intermeshed into a single idea. And, although she's the one who says it the cutest, all the Beans have the habit. They love to keep me comfy. When, you might wonder, do they keep me comfy? Anytime I try to go to the bathroom, eat lunch, take a bath, pretty much anytime I'd qualify as Mommy-time, they want to keep me comfy. This morning is a fine example.

Very unusually, JujuBean (who is my late sleeper, she rarely wakes before 7!) woke up first today. She got up and checked the playroom. She is so used to being last awake, it didn't even occur to her that the other Beans would be still abed. Finding the playroom dark and bean-free, JujuBean came to my room. It was about 6:30. She wanted to climb up in the bed with me. I let her climb up in the bed and she decided she wanted to tell me stories. She in fact told me a very fine little story about her imaginary friends the Ouzys and her real friend A. (For those astute among you, yes ButterBean talks so much about her imaginary friends the Ouzys that they have been adopted by JujuBean as well.) After she finished the first story, she ran to get a book that Lil Kinz gave us for Christmas and "read" that. By the way, in our house "reading" a complex book is really more about interpreting the pictures.

This week, all three Beans have made up stories for me. I find myself quite encouraged by this newly expressed creativity. While ButterBean has been making up stories since she was 18 months old, the TwinBeans have not really told stories like this before. So, I'm excited at hearing the new worlds their imaginations are creating. In our house, it's non-stop chatter and stories galore. Come on by and see for yourself...

Happy Story-time!

6 Comments:

At 11:22 PM , Blogger UmmFarouq said...

So cute. I'm coming by before school kicks back in, I promise.

 
At 5:36 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Ahlan wa sahlan, but I'll believe it when I see it...

 
At 1:24 AM , Blogger NasEr said...

thats great, that you;re noticing this .its your job now to develop wutever talent u think they have .its not the easiest thing to do in Jordan, but there are some good places .and the most important thing is your support ,which is apparently there i salute u .

 
At 9:40 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

NasEr, indeed I have noticed that most schools do little to develop creativity and reasoned thinking. I take both of those as my responsibility. In the second grade, we had to write a book in school. I still have mine. So, as you can imagine the Beans will be doing that soon :). Before then, I've been capturing their stories on the video camera and am seriously thinking about having ButterBean write a series of bedtime stories for kids, ala Pooh Bear.

 
At 2:08 AM , Blogger NasEr said...

thats nice .
i don't know if you're interested, but there is an annual Theater festival for children ,puppet shows and plays ,some are really good some are so so not .i think its coming soon this year I'm not sure .but i love theater and encourage anyone to go,especially kids .there is often shows from all around the world too. check the "thaqafeh" page in the newspapers .
also,there is Haya center in Shmesani,when i was a kid it had a nice library and summer activity, not sure anymore check it out.
anddd there is Nour Al Hussain foundation ,this one is great,they have dance classes, theater ,and other activities you might want to drop n check it out as well .
if i remembered anything else i'll let u know :)

 
At 11:20 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Naser, Keep me posted. I'm definitely interested in activities for the kids. I know the KG took the kids to the Haya Center last year and I assume they'll do so again this year. I would check the papers, except, they're in Arabic. Bummer. But, thanks for the suggestions. We'll check them out.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home