Saturday, February 21, 2009

Those Surreal Snapshots of Daily Life

Okay, so I didn't finish this one before dashing off to Dubai for two days (and NO, I wasn't shopping, ya rayt...). But, here it is. The things that are made for movie moments of my life in Jordan.

So, my pal NasEr tagged me with a very interesting post. It's one of those things that should bear a good bit of thought. But, if I take the time for thought, it'll probably never get done. So, I'm diving right in here. NasEr calls these his movie moments. You know when you're doing something that you never would have expected and do a double-take to make sure they're real. Sort of "pinch me" moments... So, let's see what I can come up with:



Sheep

Okay, somehow several of my surreal moments have to do with livestock.


The first one is the day that I failed to be even mildly surprised to see an entire herd of sheep blocking the road outside my house. Yep, that's right. 50 head of sheep wandering trough blocking traffic barely warranted a "Look Beans, there are sheep outside."


Second would have to be the day that I saw sheep crossing airport highway on the elevated crossing bridge while their shepherds risked life and limb dashing across the road itself (leaps of high barriers taken in stride).



Americans Are Taking Over

Finding a group of gals from Alabama in Amman is certainly surreal. Finding that they are pretty much all veiled Muslims an equal surprise. However, the truly surreal thing is that whenever I get together with them, I feel like they're just like me. Normal (well, okay THEY'RE normal, me not so much), fine, Americans - in Amman. Who'da thought it?


When we first got here, I found myself noticing the blonds in the crowd more than anyone else. Little did I expect that a mere few years into our experience, I'd stop calling them out in my mind and start looking, instead, for faces I know.



Amman, the Small Town

Amman is a city of 4 million. I never expected to think of it as a small town. But the first time I went to a professional association only to find someone I not only know, but who is related to El 3atal's family, well I knew it then.


Petra is 3 hours away from Amman and we go maybe 1-2 times a year. And, yet, one of those times, I bumped into a friend of a friend who I've met once. How surreal is it to be at a huge tourist destination and bump into someone from little old Amman?



Traffic

Because no conversation about Jordan may be had without talking about traffic...


My biggest pinch me moment so far has been when I look up and realize I can predict which way the crazy lane meanderer is going to go. Something in the tilt of the head and the part of the hair and I just KNOW where they're going. It must be some sort of universal truth I've managed to tap into...



Food

Thinking rice and bread in the same meal isn't a starch overload (or at least not a comment-worthy one).

Okay, that's enough for now... If I don't post it this moment, I probably never will!

Happy movie moments!

7 Comments:

At 6:52 AM , Blogger 7aki Fadi said...

It still amazes me how Amman is so small. I mean, Toronto only has 2 million and I NEVER bump into someone I know, EVER.

I guess Amman IS small area wise so all people go to the same places, I think that's why.

 
At 10:30 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Exactly. It really is strange isn't it? It's also strange to hear, "so I hear you were at X the other day". because someone who knows someone told someone... you get the picture ;).

 
At 12:44 PM , Blogger UmmFarouq said...

So, so nice to know you! And what connections we have. Wow. I grin till my mouth hurts whenever I'm around you.

And, you serve Cheez-Its. Need I say more?

I think you're quite normal. :)

 
At 1:47 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Hahaha! Well, it takes weird to know weird doesn't it, dear Umm Farouq. Teehee. You are a blessing in my life as well.

 
At 6:54 AM , Blogger Ali Dahmash said...

The food part is funny, there is no carbs overload in the middle east...haha
Traffic sucks, I always wonder why everyone is in a hurry while going to any place in Amman doesn't take more than 5 - 10 minutes, are they really that important! Why do we have that many cops on the streets who are useless? Corrections: Amman is 2 million only

 
At 6:25 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Well, you know. 2 million, 4 million (but are you including Marka and Zarqa, and all those places that are essentially part of Amman these days?).

I'm trying to have a new lease on traffic these days. Calm but aggressive is my new style (you can just imagine it can't you!).

 
At 11:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great post!!! I have one in my drafts, unworked on yet. You've given me great food for thought.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home