Wednesday, August 05, 2009

In Honor of Kinzi: The Job of the Stay-At-Home Christian Mom

Okay, so since I got my new ipod, I mentioned I've been listening to sermons by Tony Campolo. This guy has a such a simple way of explaining exactly how I'm feeling. He relates to his faith the way that I hope to relate to mine, although he's so much better at expressing it. I guess, then, that it's no accident that his wife is also extremely well-spoken. Tony tells of the answer that his wife, a stay-at-home mom, gives when asked the following question in the patronizing tone often used by those who think staying at home is something to be ashamed of. When I heard this, I couldn't help but think of Kinzi. I'm absolutely positive that this is an extremely apt description of what Kinzi does as well.

"What is it I do? I am socializing two Homosapiens into the dominant values of the Judeo-Christian tradition in order that they might be the instruments for the transformation of the social order into the kind of eschatological utopia that God willed from the beginning of creation. And what is it YOU do?"

Somehow her response leaves her conversational partners properly chastised. Teehee. So, Kinzi, here's my offering of an excellent answer to that most annoying question, what is it that YOU do?

Happy Job Descriptions!

4 Comments:

At 10:27 PM , Anonymous kinzi said...

THANK YOU! Quite an honor to be on the same playing field as Mrs. Campolo, to be sure!

I love that: "instruments of transformation", exactly what I want for my kids.

If I am going to have the audacity to leave the carbon footprint of four American kids on the planet, I better make sure they make it worthwhile to have them here.

I'm looking forward to more tidbits from Bro Tony :D

 
At 6:26 AM , Anonymous Anne said...

You mean to describe her as a Christian fundamentalist mother. I am Christian but I share very little in terms of my Christianity with Kinzi. This is like saying a Taliban is simply "Moslem". We all know Taliban are fundamentalist Moslems.

 
At 6:40 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Anne, I have absolutely no idea what you're responding to, sorry. She is a Christian mom raising her kids. I don't label Kinzi nor her faith. Frankly it's inappropriate for me to even consider such a thing. Given your comment, I suspect you don't know Kinzi well, if at all. Being from a main-line denomination (as I am) doesn't make me think that my Christianity is somehow superior. If it did, then perhaps it isn't very Christian.

 
At 8:41 AM , Anonymous kinzi said...

Anne, I may need a few details to get that one too.

I think Jesus Christ, and His fundamentals, is a pretty special common denominator no matter what denomination we pray with :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home