Saturday, April 05, 2008

Can someone tell me, how does a house move?

So, one day last month, when I went to work, I lived at (let's call it) 21 Elm Street. However, when I got home, I lived at 19 Elm Street. Hmmm... I didn't move houses while at work. So, how, oh how, could this happen.

In case anyone in town has missed it, Amman is going through a new signage process. I have to say that it is very nice. You can actually see street signs (too low and not offset making them a challenge to read upon occasion, but still...). In addition, houses and buildings are getting house numbers. This is an awesome idea. The only challenge is that someone has trouble with addition. While I was at work, they came and took down the old sign that denoted that the house was #21. They replaced it with a very nice big blue #19. How does that work exactly? And, in case I would be concerned that I were going crazy, they left the old house number in my flower beds (where else should it go, I suppose). And, so that's how a house moves, it appears. The biggest challenge with this is that two days after the move, we were giving a party for which invitations were already distributed with a map to #21 Elm Street. Ahh, well... they all arrived eventually.

One more funny thing about this new numbering, our office is on a street that is one block long. On that block, there is one single, solitary, sole building. And the building is number 3. Don't ask ME what happened to numbers 1 and 2. Just be thankful for the big blue number on the street that no one has ever heard of and the delivery companies can't find.

I do like the progress being made, but find it a tad disconcerting that the ability to count at a national level seems lower than I would have preferred? So it wasn't just the shapes part of basic math that they failed? Well, at least some things are predictable, Jordan never does things quite like anyone else, do they?

Happy differences!

4 Comments:

At 10:18 PM , Blogger joladies said...

My apartment has been 87 for 12 years, then they put the blue one up as 78 so we thought they had put the figures round the wrong way so complained to the Municipality who came and put it as 87. Then a week later we saw it was now 83! But then I looked at the other buildings and saw that we had to be 83 to be in numerical order. Maybe empty plots of land were divided in half to build more homes which muddled up the numbers. Anyway it is a pain in the you know where! T

 
At 11:49 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

It's funny anyway. Glad it's not just us... :)

 
At 6:31 AM , Blogger Sam said...

o no now u have to remember a whole new address...this is actually good i was getting so sick of explaining where i lived...go this way by dowar elwa7a...right left,uggh it was a pain...and it was so frustrating explaining it to the emergency people when i called for my mother in law..ah the pain..hopefully in a while we wont have to do this..

 
At 12:37 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Sam, Don't get too excited. Your apartment building had a number before. The only difference now is that it is big and blue (instead of small and white on blue). And, directions will not get easier in Jordan for quite some time, alas...

But, indeed, I have several times given people the wrong street number. Here's hoping they don't change the name!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home