Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Did the government of Jordan fail geometry?

There's something I simply don't understand (okay there are many things I don't understand, but...), why are circles called squares in Amman? I mean really, the circle at the intersection of Mecca and Medina streets is Al Haramayn Square. There's no square. It's a circle. Now, if it had a small park in it, like Wasfi-Al Tel Square (2nd circle), maybe, just maybe, I could buy it. But, there's no square, no park, nothing but the intersection of two bridges. So, how, exactly, is this a square?

I could also understand if , once upon an olden time the circles were in fact squares. But, I haven't heard any mention of this. They were circles, then lights (which at least would sort of form a square), then tunnels with circles. So, where did the square come in? I mean really, why would you call a circle a square. Unless you simply don't understand that a square has four straight sides and a circle has none. There are no lines in a circle. It's all curves, arcs, etc. So, why square? Perhaps someone can get an answer for me from the governmental agency responsible for naming the circles (or are they squares?). I'd appreciate it, because I know the government has well educated people and there must be some explanation that I haven't hit upon yet.

Good geometry.

5 Comments:

At 9:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to Jordan :P
You should see some of the atrocities we have in Aqaba, such as a cirle that is so insanely huge that you catualy have to shift gears while still inside it, heh well no not really but its really really huge, they should have just placed an intersection instead of it but meh, Also another we have another circle at the entrance of Aqaba that has traffic lights on in it, I mean who the hell is the genious who thought that up? its either circle or lights not both! LOL

 
At 11:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you seen the circle with trafic lights? i guess im gonna post about it,, hehe its so silly !! everything seems nonesense! no one knows why. :S

Welcome to Jordan is the current explaination. hehehe

 
At 7:39 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Bakkouz, the last time I was in Aqaba, I'm not sure there was circle. I'm not sure there were cars. Only joking. El3atal says there was indeed a really, really big circle. Of course, as I'm an American who never learned to drive a stick, the changing gears reference is a bit lost on me :). I look forward to visting Aqaba soon.

Jano, thanks for the comment. El 3atal informs me that Amman has a new circle with lights as well. I have to agree that it does seem to defeat the purpose. But, then again, if you try to go through the 6th circle at 5:00pm, maybe I can understand it...

It seems the circles are a source of consternation for all of us. Perhaps I will put some more of my thoughts on driving in circles in a future blog.

 
At 6:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i just saw the comment, did you see the post? at my blog?

 
At 6:57 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Jano, Just did see the post. That's too much! I may have to drive out there just to get a peek at this monstrosity.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home