Sunday, November 26, 2006

A little slice of Germany in Amman


One of the things I think is awesome about this amazing world we live in is the different customs each of us has. Our beans are fortunate in that they have two very different and distinct cultures by virtue of Mommy being American and Baba being Arab. I've always had an interest in places outside my own, which perhaps led me where I am today. So, I try to expose my kids to every culture I can. Fortunately, Jordan makes that easier in some ways. Yesterday there was a St. Martin's walk down by the first circle.

Okay, so what is St. Martin's walk? St. Martin's day is celebrated in Germany. Children go about the streets of their town carrying lanterns they have bought or made and singing special songs. Afterward, they are given special treats of candies and goodies. The turn out yesterday was awesome. There must have been 30 kids and 30+ adults to accompany them. The bright lanterns and the kids' enjoyment made this such a special event. Dare I hope for a St. Lucia festival too? The children made their lanterns and the candles inside gave them a special glow. I apologize for the quality of the photo... my cell phone isn't great in the dusk light.

The funny, Jordan thing of it was that several times on the small narrow streets, cars came along and simply HAD to get past. I mean, they saw the gaggle of kids and parents and turned down the street anyway. C'mon, can't you take a different route for once? At any rate, it was a lovely experience and I will look forward to next year's walk even more.

Happy lighting!

3 Comments:

At 6:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the fact that u try exposing ur kids to every culture u can :) Nice blog :)

Amal

 
At 12:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So fun! The Scandanavian Ladies of Amman have a St. Lucia day, I think.

Ask 3atal's mom if the celebrate St. Barbara with this yummy cooked wheat with sprinkles, it's in early December.

 
At 1:08 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Thanks Amal. I've been fortunate to have had college roommates from Sweden, Germany, Kuwait (Palestinian), Jerusalem (also Palestinian), Japan, and Mexico. I know it has enriched my life.

Kinzi, let me know if you hear more details, I'd love to have the kids see that. Also, if they do the Christmas tree shaking in January, that would be fun too. I still remember the one I attended in Sweden with great fondness.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home