Saturday, December 02, 2006

Gratuitous Circles



This blog post has been several months coming. I've been meaning to stop and take a picture of this, but kept forgetting or not having time. If I have EVER seen a gratuitous circle this is it. I pass it several time a week on the way to work. As you'll notice, neither street is very big. It's really just a circle that was added because no one wanted to make a decision of whether they should put a yield sign or stop sign for someone. About 50% of the cars simply drive right on top of the little reflectors rather than actually going around the circle. It's quite fun!

Happy looping!

3 Comments:

At 11:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why the Municipality bothers with stop signs and no entry signs. They might as well save their money as no-one takes any notice of them! As for your little circles, there are a few of them round the town but as you noticed everyone seems to drive straight over them! Glad you are enjoying driving here!!! T

 
At 11:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

loool i know these well...there's a few of them around town like joladies said. but you have to admit, the laugh that you get from seeing something like this in Jordan compensates for the lack of efficiency! it's a city of circles, where everything and everyone goes round and around.

also, with all its frustrations, I have to admit that driving in Amman is just plain entertaining sometimes.

 
At 12:12 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

I have to admit the truth of both of your comments. I've only seen this one (Shmeisani) and one in Abdun. But, I'm guessing there are probably more. The first time I saw this one, I literally laughed out loud and told El 3atal, You've got to be kidding me. Oh, and the no entry signs, boy are you ever right. A guy giving me directions to his office told me go down this street, then turn right. It says it's one way, but just ignore it. I planned to not do so, but upon approaching it, didn;t seen any legal way to get to his building :). Ah, well, if they were serious, they put those tire spikes like they have in the US coming out of car rental lots...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home