Monday, September 24, 2007

Memories of Childhood

Nothing quite brings memories of childhood to me like songs. Not, mind you, children's songs, but the songs that we sang at camp. Visiting with MimiBean usually means that some of the old songs will come up. Today the TwinBeans were playing piano with MimiBean when she started to play one of my favorite hymns of all time. Mind you, it was never actually sung in my church. But, we did sing it during our outdoor services at summer camp. I can't even begin to tell you how much I loved summer camp. At any rate, I found the second verse of the song particularly moving today and thought I'd share it. It's from a hymn called Follow the Gleam, written by Helen Hill Miller. The song is a charge to Christians to seek the Holy Grail (which to me is about seeking the best in man and a closer relationship with God).


Verse 2

And we who would serve the King,

And loyally Him obey,

In the consecrate silence know

That the challenge still holds today,

Follow, follow, follow the gleam

Standards of worth o’er all the earth;

Follow, follow, follow the gleam

Of the Light that shall bring the dawn.


The beauty of the tune and the memories it conjures up of summer sun and bubbling streams. They just warm my heart and bring a smile to my face.


Happy Singing!

2 Comments:

At 11:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

MB, I've never heard this one!!! Another detriment of being raised in a pagan home. :(

Can't wait to hear the lil beans sing it.

 
At 3:35 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Oh, they don't know it yet, but I'll belt it out there for you. Maybe someday soon they'll learn it (probably when we send them to camp).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home