Friday, November 23, 2007

Angel Tree, any Jordanian equivalent?

Okay, I was raised with the concept of the Angel Tree and since we've been here, I'm missing it. This is an appeal to anyone who might know of such a thing in Jordan. For those who aren't familiar, let me describe the concept so you maybe know if someone has an equivalent.

The Angel Tree is a program organized by Prison Ministries. Nowadays, it has it's own organization http://www.angeltree.org/site_hmpg.asp. If you check out the history, you'll see it was founded in Alabama, thus the reason I've been doing it for years. The Angel Tree program arranges for Christmas presents to be delivered to families with one or both parents in prison. In most cases, this equates to a family living in poverty as well. Started in 1982, the program has people purchase items for a child whose parents are in prison. I always went to the tree and looked and looked for someone about my age. I then went with my Mom and bought a gift (toy or other type item) and a set of clothes out of what my Mom was planning to spend on me for Christmas. It was sort of like taking two gifts for me and turning them into one gift for me and one for someone else. It taught me that many people don't have the blessings that I do. It was so hard as a child to imagine children who don't have anything under the tree.

Well, in Jordan, there are many, many people who are living in poverty. I am certain many, many of them are Christian and, in this blessed season, it seems there ought to be a program for them. Does anyone know if any of the churches have something like this? In the US, the tree is typically put up by churches. (It's called an angel tree, because a Christmas tree is put up and Angel ornaments are hung on it with the child's first name, age, and gifts they would like). I'd love to be able to share this tradition with the beans. I was put in mind of it because ButterBean's school sent home a note asking for food, winter clothing, and a toy for a child. but, somehow it just isn't the same as being able to choose a specific child and picking out items for them. I'd like the beans to do what I did, search the tree to find someone their age and with their interests (that's what I've done each year since the beans were born). I'd like them to begin to understand the responsibility that goes with the blessings God provides.

Anyone have any thoughts? If not, maybe next year I'll bring an Angel Tree to Jordan. Not necessarily for kids with parents in prison, but just for those who otherwise won't have a Christmas.

Happy Angels!

2 Comments:

At 11:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

MommaBean, the Baptist School has had that same concept in previous years. It was always so sad to pass by it, as so few names were taken.

I think the woman in charge of their Hebet il qame7 community program is Mary...you can call at 552-1964 and ask here.

There is another woman who organizes gifts for prisoners themselves, I can ask her if they do anything for the families.

The Jordanian Evangelical Network usually has a Christmas project as well. If you'd like, I'll call. :)

 
At 2:13 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Thanks, Kinz, I can always count on you to come up with something. Now if I just manage to call, teehee...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home