Friday, January 29, 2010

Do you KNOW your name???

Once again I'm counting on my 3 readers to give the low-down. Twice in the last few days I've met Egyptian guards who, when asked their name, reply X, enshalla. What is that exactly? Are they unsure if their name is actually X? Or, are they concerned that since the last time they gave their name God would have decided to change it? I'm confused by this use of enshalla. Anyone got any idea why they respond this way? It struck me as decidedly odd...

Happy Hunh?!

5 Comments:

At 2:43 PM , Blogger NasEr said...

never in my life had i encountered anyone who said X inshalla, LOL,r u visiting Egypt ? or was this here (Jo)?

 
At 10:15 PM , Anonymous kinzi said...

Come to think of it, I do remember our former gardener saying the same thing. I wonder?

 
At 12:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! One more confusing invocation of the Lord's will. I'll have to ask our haaris and see if he has an explanation.

Brian

PS - I do read regularly via a feed reader but maybe those hits don't show up in your stats.

 
At 4:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am assuming, momma, that by x you mean insert name here.

when interviewing maids, I had my sister in law telling me the maid's name and asking me if I liked the name. My thought was "What difference does it make, it's her name?" while her point was if I didn't like her name, now was the time for me to change it.

so after reading your post, my thoughts go humorously to that being the response from the maid (or in your case, harris) as in "inshallah, you are NOT going to be changing MY name!"

 
At 9:20 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Haha, great answers. NasEr, here in JO.

Laith, my low reader count is poking fun at myself les I think scores of people follow my humble little blog ;).

B, wow, nice to know. Glad to see you here!

Joyce, great reason. Never would have thought of that, teehee.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home