Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Excuse Me, Mr. Rifai, But I Think You Need To Expand the Dialog

First, excuse any perceived sarcasm read into this message, I assure you it is likely there (It IS my stock in trade, after all). I was SO relieved to read today in the Jordan Times that the Prime Minister met with "the head and memebers of the JPA" about the issue that has so recently electrified the blogosphere, yep censorship. Mr. Rifai reiterated the King's commitent to "improving and developing the entire media sector..." But, somehow it seems to be that the nuances of the issue have totally been lost.

Somehow the government has not figured out that a significant amount of the issue is NOT relating to the established press, those who would appropriately be members of the JPA). It is, instead, related to others who could, under loose and unclear laws, be considered to be electronic media. Like this blog. So, somehow I failed to get my invitation to this meeting. How it could have happened, I'm unsure. Surely not because I'm not a recognized member of the press. Or because the only claim to journalism I have is a blog that occasionally tackles topics relating to society and life in Jordan (like this one).

What's that? You think I'm not a member of the media? Excellent! Could someone please put that down in the Press and Publications Law? Please? Pretty please? Pretty please with sugar on top? Currently, depending on your reading of the laws and the Court's recent ruling I may be subject to the dictates and rules therein. But, I have no voice in the conversation, the dialog that the Prime Minister indicates atmospheric conditions are favorable for. So, if there's a dialog, could I be invited? After all, if those in these positions of power would listen a little more closely they might realize that the whole issue is that the hazy laws bring people into the conversation who simply don't belong. So, I ask you Mr. Prime Minister, don't you think now is the time to expand the dialog? As an unrepresented stakeholder, I'd like a voice. I suspect there are a few others who would as well. So when is that appointment? Just asking...

Happy Expansion!

2 Comments:

At 3:56 AM , Anonymous kinzi said...

Can I tag along? :)

 
At 7:03 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Absolutely, I'll let know when I received the invitation ;). Teehee.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home