Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering Ramzy, Short Thoughts

Some of you may remember that for last two years I've posted in remembrance of Ramzy Doany. To be honest, I missed September 11 in Jordan, but being timezones away still can catch the US. Somehow this day always sneaks up on me. I seem to remember about a week in advance and the totally forget until the actual day of. This year, I fell I can't say it better than I did in 2008, so I'm going to excerpt a bit here...

Begin 2008 post

I didn't know Ramzi personally. But, as I'm sure you all know, Amman is a VERY small town. It's so small that when the World Trade Center was destroyed on September 11, 2001, one of our own was lost. Ramziwas not only from Jordan, he was not only Palestinian, he was not only Christian, he was a member of our family. Although we weren't related (even by marriage), we were related by faith, by worship, by practice. Ramzi was one of those American myths, the forgotten, the glossed over: the Palestinian Christian...

Let's not forget that we aren't a myth... Jordan and the Palestinians are blessed with Christians as well as Muslims. People of all faiths and nationalities were lost in the September 11 tragedy. And it's up to us to remember each of them, those who are as like us as peas in a pod and those who are as different putting a plum in that pea pod would be...

Happy Remembrances!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home