Sunday, January 04, 2009

Another Local Company Provides Assistance. American Ingenuity At Work...

So, my lovely friend Umm Farouq had a very good idea. It's the kind of thing that goes over big in the land of convenience and I hope it will here as well. We've been hearing about the need for medicines, supplies, etc. Well, Umm Farouq asked herself, what should go in such a package? What are the most needed items? How can I ensure that what I pick up will be useful. Then she had an idea.

She got on the phone and called some people she knows at the local powerhouse Pharmacy One. "Can you help?," she asked them. Sure enough, they can. So, here's her idea implemented in a simple, user-friendly way.

Beginning tomorrow, January 5, the Pharmacy One chain of pharmacies, with 40 locations throughout the Kingdom, will have available Medical Relief Packages that can be purchased and sent to the people of Gaza. They will offer three packages, at costs of 20, 50, and 100 JD. For those of you wanting to help out with medical aid in Gaza, which is in the direst conditions imaginable, here is your opportunity!

**Update**

Aramex will be picking up Medical Relief Packages at all Pharmacy One locations, making it even easier to donate. So, please go out and support if you have the ability to do so. And, even though she thinks she doesn't deserve, GO Umm Farouq!

**End update**

One thing that American companies typically do very well is make it as easy as possible to give. Umm Farouq's idea takes the guess-work, concern, and hassle out of giving medicines. So, take a minute to stop in a Pharmacy One store and grab a Medical Relief Package. Thanks to Pharmacy One for making this possible and Umm Farouq for finding the right channels to make her own contribution.

Happy Supply Runs!

14 Comments:

At 8:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

An update!
(Also, I'm flattered with the kudos but deserve none):)

Aramex has agreed to pick up the packages from all Pharmacy One locations, so no need to buy and take. Just buy the stuff and leave it there. Pharmacy One will give you a receipt, and Aramex will pick up.

 
At 8:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent!!! Umm Farouq, I need to borrow your thinking cap (mine has dandruff). Great new development, too.

You've also helped supply Jordan business and Venture mags with a couple of positive lights in a negative darkness to write about. :)

I was thinking in the car, that momentum CAN'T stop. For after the humanitarian crisis of just keeping people alive, fed and clothed, the job of REBUILDING will begin. Let's pace ourselves so we don't get compassion fatigue by that point.

 
At 1:24 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Umm Farouq, excellent, I had thought that was the next logical step, so great news. I'll update the post.

Kinz, agree wholeheartedly.

 
At 3:32 PM , Blogger Hani Obaid said...

I hope they still let you buy and take, I'd rather give it to Aramex myself.

That's why I was so happy with the cozmo grocery/blankets thing, I don't trust giving cash to strangers.

For example some people were saying send donations for Gaza to the red cross, whereas the red cross HQ in the Palestinian territories is in Ramallah so the PA made sure not one cent of that money went to Gaza.

 
At 6:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to know how many Aramex trucks made it through
Gaza since last week? Hani's comments made an excellent point that should be taken into consideration.

 
At 10:32 PM , Blogger UmmFarouq said...

Sure, you can still buy and take. It's up to you to do what you want with your purchase. This just cut out a step for some people who have a hard time going from place to place (i.e., without cars).

 
At 11:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon, I read at Nas' and Mariam's blogs that all the trucks from the initiative made it across.

Fadi Ghandour must have better wasta than the Red Crescent.

Aid through Egypt is NOT getting in, however.

 
At 7:39 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Hani, I understand your concerns and am glad they make it open for all options. As Umm F. said, I know lots of folks in town who could make it to Pharmacy One, but not to Aramex (one stop when you don't have a car is infintely preferable).

Anonymous, actually from what I gather although Aramex has been doing the collection and storage (or free) the trucks are going in under the auspices of one of the only allowed organization (Hashemite Charity or something like it).

I understand the general concerns about theft and misuse, but can't let that stop what I try to do. If someone else steals from the people of Gaza, well I believe they will receive their just desserts in the end... So, I trust God to make use of the gifts wherever He sees fit.

 
At 9:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Momma Bean, it's so refreshing to see a Westerner boldly step up and contribute positively in this part of the world. Bridget is impressed. Keep up the good work!

 
At 12:25 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Bridget, welcome. There are actually many Westerners with a heart for the Palestinians. Many of us, not so coincidentally, are married to them ;). You keep up the good work too.

 
At 12:31 PM , Blogger Hani Obaid said...

The owner of the Pharmacy one chain is a personal friend of my father. I asked him to call him this afternoon, and Mr. Al-Iryan confirmed about the boxes. We are setting up a donation pot at work (100 people) to go and buy all the boxes together.
I'm going to get 2 big boxes myself, I wish I could afford more :(

Thanks for letting us know about this!

 
At 1:49 AM , Blogger UmmFarouq said...

Hani, God Bless you. Thank you so, so much.

 
At 6:52 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Hani, you're the bomb. Glad to hear that you and your colleagues are creating a community of involvement. I know that you are inspiring others. Keep up the good work!

 
At 1:44 AM , Blogger Ali Dahmash said...

That is just great, many companies in addition to individuals are helping including Zain, my firm, Aramex.
Gives me hope in this life

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home