Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Apparently Israel Wants To Have Its Cake and Eat It Too... Israeli envoy to U.K. accuses church service of being anti-Semitic

So, TetaBean sent me an article that I found curious. It's about an "alternative" service that a church in the UK had. Among other things, the church changed the words of that old Christmas classic, The Twelve Days Of Christmas. The "gifts" were "Twelve assassinations/Eleven homes demolished/Ten wells obstructed/Nine sniper towers/Eight gunships firing/Seven checkpoints blocking/Six tanks a-rolling/Five settlement rings. Four falling bombs/Three trench guns/Two trampled doves/And an uprooted olive tree."

Now, honestly I think that's a bit tasteless. Funny. Appropriate. Clever. But tasteless in a church. However, what I found more interesting were following comments made the the Envoy.

"For 2000 years, the Jewish people suffered persecution because of the accusation of responsibility for the death of Jesus Christ. The carol service deliberately attempted to make a linkage between this notion of deicide and Israel's relations with the Palestinians. It thus perpetuated an anti-Semitic canard that has no place in modern Britain," Prosor added.

Okay, let's review. The sole Israeli claim to the "Promised Land" is biblical in nature. So, in essence they are attempting to draw some link between the Israelites of the Bible and the Israel of today. But, when the Christians take the same approach, it's "anti-Semitic". Well, shoot, I think the Israeli genocide of Palestinians is pretty anti-Semitic as well. After all, as the Jews try their best not to acknowledge, Palestinians are Semites too. Take about an amazingly self-deluded double-standard...

Oh, and for the record, they DID kill Jesus. Get over it, we have. Jewish persecution has never, to my knowledge, had anything to do with killing Jesus. I imagine sociologists would be better equipped to talk on the subject, but in my very humble opinion, the very "held apart" nature of Jews through time has made them different. Being different typically leads to persecution. Ask those Christians who stand in trucks shouting their viewpoints at schools in the US if they feel persecuted. They do. And they also think it's because of their faith rather than because they hold themselves apart.

The bottom line is that either a) you claim the land as descendants of historical Israel (I'll illustrate in my next post why that's a ludicrous idea) and accept that your ancestors killed Jesus or b) you claim the land based on nothing and should be thrown out. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Happy self-delusion!

4 Comments:

At 10:26 AM , Blogger UmmFarouq said...

Very interesting. I have often pointed out the Semite issue, that for and Israeli to call an Arab an anti-Semite is on par with a pot calling the kettle black. They have played that card quite well for the past fifty or so years. They are quite good at turning things around.

I am thinking about those people at the UNRWA schools who lost their lives. If I hear the term "human shield" one more time I'm going to hurl.

 
At 2:39 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

I'm with you. I also love the way they use such "pretty" terms for armaments. They can't just call it a tank, now can they? Instead they give it some nonsensical name, like fortified projectile assistant. I can't find the exact term, but boy do they make it sound inocuous...

 
At 1:22 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

mab3oos, You know, that's exactly what I learned in history class.

 
At 3:46 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Thanks for the recommendation Ali. Next time I have the time and budget, I'll pick it up...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home