Sunday, January 11, 2009

When There's Too Much Noise, Can We Hear Anything?

I've noticed this trend of large, loud, angry demonstrations going on around the world and here at home. And, I've noticed something else, in all the shouting (and rioting) the voices are lost. The message is lost. So, maybe it's time for another approach? I've got a conceptual idea that I'd like to put out there (okay I've got 2). I want your thoughts.

Idea #1: I would like to see our first silent protest. Let me tell you what I mean by that. Imagine a line of protesters standing shoulder to shoulder all the way from the eighth circle to the first circle. Okay, get ready for the full visual, imagine these thousands (because that's what it will take) of people dressed head to toe in black with tape over their mouths. Standing silent because the world is. Standing silent because all of the words we shout, all of the railing at the wind we do isn't changing anything. Standing silent because the people of Gaza have gone without the blessedness of silence for far too long. Imagine that with me and tell me, wouldn't that make an impact?

Idea #2: A candlelight vigil for Gaza with people representing each country in the world. This one involves tape as well. For all of us with a home country (or another home country as the case may be) that is shaming us by remaining silent, our message needs to be heard. You know, sometimes the whisper is more powerful than the shout. In fact, the Venezuelan contingency could come and speak, since they're the only government that has officially spoken against this travesty that I've heard about.

Maybe it's time for a new approach. What do you think?

Happy silence!

6 Comments:

At 10:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think both are excellent ideas.

As you mentioned that the images on MSNBC from Jordan on Friday were more angry mob scenes, I think it is important for people to see Jordanians can express their rage without throwing rocks.

Although I am glad for protests around the world, it is distressing to see how much destruction accompanies people who are shouting in Arabic. Sadly, it will harm the message and solidify stereotypes and fear.

It is a shame the mock graveyard came down as a result also. That was one of the most stirring images for me. Silent protest from the grave.

 
At 12:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is a great idea. Realistically, I don't know if you will be able to maintain the silence with with the amount of anger raging inside of people and some (ie, most) people will not get the point of being silent, but I for one, love it! Hope someone is able to organize this. If so, I will be there with bells on - not literally :)

 
At 3:10 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Kinz, exactly. I thought the graveyard was an amazing visual. Maybe it needs to be revived as a quiet, respectful, thing (somewhere else, of course).

Um Abdulrahman, I tend to expect that the type of people who will be drawn to a silent protest will understand (and the tape over the mouths does serve a second purpose, teehee). I'll keep brainstorming and see what I can do.

 
At 6:01 AM , Blogger Ali Dahmash said...

I support Idea number 1, its great, clear and out. As for candlelight, we did have a few here in Jordan infront of the UN and downtown on New Years eve, nice but not effective. Ofcourse it will be easier to drive those protestors by car to gaza than to keep them silent in the streets of amman ;)

 
At 1:33 AM , Blogger Ali Dahmash said...

Mamma Bean, Kinzi, can you spread this? We need more volunteers in the Aramex campaign

http://alidahmash.blogspot.com/2009/01/urgent-we-need-more-volunteers-in.html

 
At 12:10 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Ali, I agree that's likey true. Keeping people quiet is tough. But, then again, taping their mouths might be an effective way, hunh?

And, I'm blogging your second request now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home