Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bowing to Peer Pressure, A Real Top 50 Things I Love About Jordan Post

Since I've been challenged and shamed about my lack of Top 50 things, I decided to go whole hog. I went back over the first two years the Bean family spent in Jordan and found things I'd blogged about enjoying in Jordan. Please join me for MommaBean's top 50 of 2006 and 2007!
  1. Endless circling: ala Chevy Chase in European Vacation, once you get in you can't get out
  2. Misspellings on menus (to date my favorite is Pier with cohool, which edged out trible blend of cheeses by a nose)
  3. Baka'a refugee camp: the tenacity, love of home, and spirit of the people in their defiant refusal to call another place home
  4. The government' signage calling circles squares, geometry refresher anyone?
  5. The Bean's fun wheeeeing through tunnels (the first few months)
  6. Interpretive driving
  7. Fabulous hair cuts for tiny fees
  8. The Dead Sea, enough said
  9. Zoos that feature house pets, you know dogs and cats
  10. Fabulous breezes, really truly noteworthy breezes
  11. Creative parking
  12. The competitive advantage of the huge handed guy at Osra Hummus
  13. Fabulous furniture built for next to nothing
  14. Anything can be delivered
  15. The Jaaha (askage) before the wedding (especially the bag pipes and the debkeh troupes)
  16. Creative grocery store placement (call it hide and seek with food)
  17. Excellent schooling in Arabic for all ages
  18. Garbage men, the hardest working fellows in Amman
  19. Cheap vegetables (once upon a time at least)
  20. Middle of the road driving (or fear of commitment)
  21. Signage embarrassment (Libby's Ass Juice anyone? Pub and Grill?)
  22. Holiday Greetings by SMSs
  23. Amman's new curved concrete suspension bridge
  24. Petra: a New Wonder of the World
  25. The Beep-Beep Culture
  26. Gratuitous Circles
  27. Creative Spelling (butiey shop anyone? a trip to the saloon for your hair, perhaps?)
  28. Pet Monkeys being taken for a walk
  29. 1 JD DVDs, need I say more?
  30. People who floss during New Year's Eve concerts at a 5 star hotel
  31. Creative car towing, no rope needed, just gimme some twine
  32. Baby cologne for stinky babies
  33. Slim Fast on the candy aisle, give up already...
  34. Casual royalty (or how I've met 4 royals already)
  35. Creative contraptions (cinder block as emergency brake, rag as gas cap)
  36. A single blog can change the world (or at least silly sign, Shawarma and More?)
  37. Amman is a small, small world (aka how I can never go anywhere and not see SOMEONE I know)
  38. Sweet sound of birds singing outside my window
  39. Queen Rania: Beauty Queen and brains too, what a package!
  40. Mosque Tops for sale in the balad
  41. Golden Skies
  42. Assempling Points
  43. A World-Class Children's Museum
  44. Sense of Humor replaces wasta in exchanging the driver's license
  45. Heart shaped potatoes
  46. Strikingly funny mistakes in classified ads (from reputed oil companies to the mirror required reversed image)
  47. New sheep carriers - trunk and backseat of a vintage 1980s Datsun
  48. Time for art projects with the Beans
  49. The rarity of rainbows in Jordan and how special they become
  50. Concrete bound fire hydrants

If you are stumped by any meanings, check out the original posts... April 2006 to December 2007 ;).

Happy Jordan Love!

9 Comments:

At 2:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Momma! Your points were infinitely more amusing than mine. I can't believe you came up with 50 and they were all so original! Not easy at this stage of the game. I did enjoy that fabulous cross breeze today. Now I am warming by the soba.

As for creative spelling, my favorite so far (and I mean to take a picture but everytime I pass my daughter says "No not now!" and I am only on Wakalat Street with her) is monecare and bodycare. You figure it out. Without the picture it may be hard.

I am intrigued by #36. Tell me more.

 
At 5:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH Momma Bean, thank you! you reminded me of my days in Jordan and made me feel homesick!!I live in the USA, sounds like we switched places. I really enjoyed it, it was so touching! Tell me more, please!
Tina

 
At 10:06 PM , Blogger Sharon M said...

My favorite misspelling on a menu: Shrimps with poodles. Don't remember where I saw it, but it was so funny that I took a picture!

 
At 11:45 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

J, well, clearly it's manicure and pedicure. Aren't I good? I saw an ad yesterday for menikeur and padikeur, which is the only reason I have so much as a guess ;). As for #36, I took a picture of a sign at a shawarma place in Sweifieh that had named themselves Sharwarma and More? I rightly pointed out that if THEY don't know if they have more, how could we possibly? The next time we went by, they had become Shawarma and More. Nomore question mark, they finally know what they are, teehee.

Tina, welcome indeed.

Sharon, the shrimps always cracks me up, add a side of poodles and I SO would have taken a picture...

 
At 2:41 AM , Anonymous kinzi said...

MB, I think my nine readers all came to see.

As usual, uniquely you and fun :)

shrimp and poodles...ROFL!!!!

 
At 1:17 PM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Woohooo! Thanks for the shout out Kinzi.

 
At 5:52 PM , Blogger abu 'n um tulip said...

apparently you haven't yet dined at the place in Aqaba that offers "roasted aborigines."

Abu Tulip

 
At 11:32 PM , Blogger Quotidian Life said...

I like #6, Interpretive driving. And, many of the drivers' maneuvers are open to interpretation~ "What in the world does that taxi driver think he's doing?"

 
At 6:10 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Abu Tulip, I have indeed missed the roasted aborigines. Reminds me of the friend in Philly who saw an Israeli salad on the menu at an Arabic restaurant and asked if there were real Isrealis in it. Yikes!

Quotidian, absolutely. It's all open to interpretaton and most of it NEEDS interpretation... ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home