Friday, February 05, 2010

Is that a Dummy in the car, or are you the Idiot?

This headline caught my eye this morning for one simple reason... I SO though about doing this before. Back when we lived in big city America and I commuted an hour each way every day, I watched the folks zooming past in the HOV (high-occupancy vehicle, aka carpool) lanes, and thought about getting an HOV dummy. There were a couple of things that held me back. First, we didn't have the money for one. Second (and more important), it was hard enough dressing myself, no way I'd manage to get 2 of us dressed and out the door early in the morning, teehee.

I also thoughts about the type of explanation that would be required if a police officer did pull me over and decided I'm not that good at pulling a fast one. Smooth-talker I am not. So, I never implemented this HOV plan. Now I see that someone else did and got ticketed for her trouble. Well, I guess the question in the case is - who is the bigger dummy?

Happy Plastic Pals!

6 Comments:

At 5:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Momma, Back in my college days, I had an art project which for some odd reason I decided to make a life-size dancing partner. He looked very real other than the fact that he was made out of muslin (not Muslim), very pale, with a black wig. He reminded me of an older Elvis Presley. I often thought of doing that. He still gets a lot of use. My mother used to sit him in a lawn chair holding Halloween candy, good for a spook. Recently, my neice entered him in a talent show ventriloquist act.

I always dreamt of getting pulled over in the carpool lane during my last years in America, a time when I had two or three kids in carseats, just so I could say "Ha!" It never happened.

 
At 7:38 AM , Anonymous jaraad said...

Vigilant police officer! And the driver is 61 years old.
I guess this will never happen in Jordan since all lanes are dedicated for carpooling. You rarely see one person in a car :)

 
At 7:39 AM , Anonymous jaraad said...

Vigilant police officer! And the driver is 61 years old.
I guess this will never happen in Jordan since all lanes are dedicated for carpooling. You rarely see one person in a car :)

 
At 8:16 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Joyce, sounds like a winner. I'd love to see your art work... Jaraad, I thought her age was funny too. You'd think by 61 you'd have outgrown the impulsive youth... Sadly, I'm often alone in my car in Jordan. Teehee. Mommy shuttle at your service.

 
At 11:26 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

Wow, in New York, you only need two people to use the car pool lane?!? Back home in California, it's three. The police came out and said that babies have to be born (being pregnant wont cut it) and neither do ghosts or phantoms count. Only in California would the police have to actually come out with a statement on this fact.

 
At 7:05 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Sharon, that's great! Phantoms don't count. Who knew?! Teehee. In Phoenix it was 2 as well. And, in places where most cars are used to transport just one, 2 makes sense...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home