Saturday, February 23, 2008

It's All in the Paper! (or why I don't like the way they're teaching ButterBean to write...

Okay, so I am pretty hung up on this topic :). And part of the reason is that many of the teaching aids I've bought, I got in the US. As a result, if I use them, ButterBean is learning the wrong way to write (yes that's right, there's a right way and a wrong way apparently... I'd really like to just go out and buy copy books using my system, teehee.

So, today as we were using one of these aids, I decided to grab a picture, so I could complain with visual aids (ha!).

So, here's a comparison, side by side shot of just the lined paper and then with a letter on it.
See, tell me THIS isn't confusing. On the left with the two heavy lines and the two dashed lines is the system they are using. So, the second dashed line is actually the bottom line (where all capital letters and most small letters end). The bottom heavy line is where the below-the-line letters go (p, g, q). On the right is MY paper, what I grew up using. As you see, the top heavy line is where the capital letter starts. The middle line is, well the middle, so where small letters reach at the top. The bottom line is (get this) the bottom of all big letters and most small letters. So, the letters mentioned above that hang below go (okay, wait for it.........) below the line!

For further illustrative purposes, here is the one with a letter on it (one of the troublesome letters, the p)...


Both of these are SMALL letter ps. Okay, is there ANYONE out there who doesn't think the one on the right makes more logical and obvious sense? Anyone? Anyone? THAT'S what I'm talking about, right there.

I think I may have to work on this from the other side. I'll try talking with the elementary school administrators and see if I can bring them into the fold of an obviously better system, teehee.

Happy paper obsessing!

3 Comments:

At 9:58 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I agree. Thank God our school doesn't use that paper. Of course there are other issues there, but not about the paper. Go see what you can do about it.

 
At 12:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm tee-heeing over the upset school administrators dealing with those uppity foreign mommies.

 
At 10:31 AM , Blogger MommaBean said...

Yeah, I'll have to see what I can do. Annoying American mommies of the world - UNITE!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home